Music By Jason
December 08, 2019, 12:39:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High Elven Track Title - Any Suggestions?  (Read 8955 times)
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2005, 06:00:11 PM »

I am writing the soundtrack to the WarCraft III mod Counterstrike at Quel'Thalas. It follows the story of the surviving elves in Silvermoon after the invasion of the Undead Scourge and progresses through the rise of the Blood Elf faction. There are four campaigns (high elves, forest trolls, Shadow Alliance -- dark, twisted mages, and valley elves -- high elf offshoot), and the high elves have not gone down the fateful path of Blood Elveness yet.

So far I have written all three of the in-game high elven tracks, but I am having trouble coming up with a good title for the third track. I have been trying to follow the naming conventions of the Blizzard tracks on the soundtrack for WarCraft III, because I feel that since I'm working within the same world it makes sense to keep some sense of consistency.

The titles for the first two tracks are Return to Quel'Thalas (a functional and uninspired title for the first track, which is upbeat, and kind of introductory), and Silvermoon Rising (an ambiguous title for a more epic, magical and fight-worth track).

However, I have been unable to come up with a decent single-word title for the third track. I was wondering if anyone would be able to post their suggestions for what they think would be an appropriate or suitable title for the third high elven track. Note that I am only asking for opinions because I have been unable to come up with a good single-word title, even though I have been wracking my brain and scouring thesaures.

The third track seems to be very magical, powerful, and in some parts remembering the many elves who have fallen in battle. It is not quite as sad as a lament, but is a kind of tenacity of the elves, in their unwillingness to be swept aside, and has ghostly echoes of the past. As the head of the project has put it much more eloquently than I.

In Counterstrike at Quel'Thalas,
. . . the war is raging and darkness seems larger than ever. Silvermoon has fallen (yeah, you'll see that too, though only in intro Cheesy), High Elves have been pushed to the brink of extinction, the land is being plagued... Sorrow and death walk hand in hand over Lordaeron and Quel'Thalas, in places where beauty and power once reigned supreme. To make matters worse, High Elves lost Sunwell and with it the means to feed their addiction. They must now deal with sudden loss of what was their birthright for millenia. Still, all is not dark, as a spark of hope remains in those who return and in those who are hidden.

Hence, the title must reflect the great loss and the High Elves' longing for their past (hence the echoes in the piece) as well as this hope that comes from places unknown.

I really want the title for this track to be one word, but I have so far been unable to find an adequate word that does justice to the track.

Examples from Reign of Chaos are Awakening (for the Night Elves, and is an awesome title that I would love to match), Blight (an ambiguous title for the Undead Scourge), Bloodlust (for the Orcish Horde), and Frostmourne (for the Human Alliance).

My favourite of the already-existing list of names is definitely Awakening.

Can anyone think of an appropriate single-word title for a grand and epic track of the high elves (post-Invasion of the Scourge, but pre-Blood Elf era)?

Challis
Mosaic Competition Winner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 04:36:51 AM »

What about legacy? Sorry for the short post, but you asked for a single word Tongue
AlphonseCapone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 12:29:45 PM »

Enlightment
Illuminare
Tenebrae
Rebirth
Revelation

My 5 cents Smiley

(on a side note, "Illuminare" is "light" in latin, and "tenebrae" is "concealed by darkness" in latin)

url=http://www.last.fm/user/AlphonseCapone/?chartstyle=WoWBurningCrusade] [/url]
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 02:01:26 PM »

Thank-you both for your suggestions. Smiley

Tenebrae . . . this I did not know.  Shocked Very interesting.

However, I'm trying to keep primarily English titles (unless there is a significant artifact which affects the storyline substantially, like Frostmourne).

Legacy . . . this one . . . is very good. Very close. Of all the titles I've come up with, or had suggested to me, this is the closest yet.

I will have to think about this . . . thank-you very much!

I will let you know if I decide it fits, but at the moment I'm pretty sure it will. Smiley

Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 02:30:50 AM »

Double-post time.

Thank-you Challis! Smiley Legacy it is!

Once I get the choir recorded (studio booked for the Twenty-Eighth of May) and mixed, I'll upload it to my website, and leave a notification here for you. If you want to hear an incomplete version of just the instruments (without any enhanced tech effects -- just straight out conversion of the music) of the piece you helped me name, let me know, and I'll email it to you. Smiley

Challis
Mosaic Competition Winner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 04:45:19 AM »

Yeah, I'd love to thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: