Music By Jason
November 19, 2017, 06:02:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware versus Software  (Read 7004 times)
Jonathan

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2004, 04:28:37 PM »

Just trying to get a few cool discussions up Tongue

Ok, my opinion: I prefer the touch of hardware but I think software can be quite as powerful too. Clarify? Software samplers versus hardware ones Smiley I bought the AKAI z8 a year ago and I'm really happy with it, but I see myself using the VSTi's more in the future.

Any opinions?

Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 11:29:50 PM »

I find that most studio engineers prefer knobs and dials. Ask Jason about his Mackie Big Knob. He loves it.

Personally (despite my studio experience), I prefer software. I am willing to put up with the occasional crash in order to streamline my whole op system into one fancy box (or multiple, depending on how you run GigaStudio, etc.).

Windows and multiple monitors are much more fun.
Jonathan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 01:30:55 AM »

Yeah I agree with you on that part. VSTi's can be as powerful these days as hardware samplers. I also like the ease the way stuff is displaced. My akai is very limited with the small lcd display.

What's that knob thing jason? ;p

Jason
Game and Film Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 02:51:00 PM »

I use a lot of software and love it! I don't use hardware samplers any more because of Gigastudio, and it's nice to run software effects right in the software mixing console of a music production program like Logic or Performer.

But--- my Big Knob is very cool!
http://www.mackie.com/products/bigknob/index.html

Actually, it's because I don't use much hardware that the Big Knob is so indispensable. I don't use a hardware mixer in my studio, because I'm always mixing in software. So basically, the Big Knob adds those things I still need from a hardware mixer, without the things I don't.

The most obvious feature of this device is the large knob on the front, which allows me to control the volume of the speakers (the same way the "control room" knob does on a mixer). To me, it's much better than having to turn the control room volume up and down with a graphical fader on the screen. Also, you can toggle between 3 different sets of speakers, which is great for checking out your mixes in different contexts. There's a headphone mix bus, and even a talk-back mic!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: