Music By Jason
April 07, 2020, 05:34:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The lack of a Warcraft-theme  (Read 9606 times)
NiklasHS

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2005, 06:15:10 PM »

I'm not sure if this is possible for you to answer Jason, but was it intentional to completely rewrite all music and establish new themes and melodies for every new Warcraft game? The only two form of reoccurring themes I can recall in the Warcraft games was Human 1 from Warcraft 1 which was made in to the disco-song for Warcraft 2, then there was the Dance of the Ogre from Warcraft 2 which was remade as Echoes for Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne.

To me, while the music for all four games is good, the lacking of a Warcraft-theme is what I kind of find lackluster in the series. Much like when you play James Bond-game you expect to hear the signature theme in all it's variations (the soundtrack to the games/movies are basically all built on making different variations of the signature theme), there simply isn't one song that says "this is Warcraft". It's more like "...this is Warcraft 2" and "...this is Warcraft 3" and "...this is World of Warcraft", etc.

When you and the musical staff made the music for World of Warcraft, you really had basically three games to draw inspiration from. Yet you chose to make everything from scratch. Was this intentional to kind of draw a distance between the games to say "this is another game, another experience" or something you didn't really think about that much?
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 04:47:58 AM »

I believe it may have something to do with the fact that game music is heard much, much more often than other media, such as film.

As to whether it was deliberate -- yes, I believe it was a deliberate decision by Blizzard to keep each title to have its own themes within itself, and not borrow too heavily from previous titles. The obvious exceptions being the orcish music arranged for The Frozen Throne and World of WarCraft. But they are the exceptions, probably deliberately chosen to instill a sense of nostalgia -- an example of something similar is in the human in-game track for WarCraft III, Blackrock & Roll, Glenn Stafford used a fragment of the human music he wrote for Tides of Darkness . . . very, very effective at giving an auditory nod in the direction of WarCraft II, and a reminder that these are the humans in the same game series (whether this was a direct fragment, or a similar one, I am not sure).

When I first saw the teaser trailer for WarCraft III years ago (back when it was meant to be a role playing game, I believe), I expected the rhythmic ostinato (I transcribed it, but there doesn't seem to be an upload function, oh well) to feature prominently in the game, but the developers obviously decided to go in a different direction. I was happy that it snuck back into World of WarCraft, though.

kuni

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 01:34:21 PM »

I'm not sure it was a complete reinvention.  The music through the games has changed like the art and story: some similarities, some differences, but always with the same "feel" to it.  It all feels like Warcraft.  I think of the music as "growing" from WC1 to now, to match the grandeur of the graphics and storyline (which have also blossomed).

There we are: my two cents, which weren't even asked for in the first place.  I'll shut up now. :?
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 12:54:32 AM »

Yes, I most definitely agree with you!

Each game in the series has a sound world unique to itself, however all of these sound environments are related to each other, a sound universe, if you will.

Pawe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 02:41:36 PM »

Actually, did Jason write the Warcraft 2 music? Wasn't Warcraft 2 music Glenn Staffords work? Because it is understandable that every composer wants to add something of his/her own to the musical world. And thus whole Warcraft music world is... rich.

n the fullness of time. Expect me you see me.
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 02:47:03 PM »

Yep, you are correct.

WarCraft: Orcs and Humans -- music by Gregory Alper (externally contracted)
WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness -- music by Glenn Stafford
WarCraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal -- music by Glenn Stafford
WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos -- Glenn Stafford (primarily human), Derek Duke (primarily undead, also orc), Tracy Bush (primarily night elf, also orc), Jason Hayes (cinematics)
WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne -- Glenn Stafford (blood elf), Derek Duke (undead), Tracy Bush (night elf), Victor Crews (orc), Jason Hayes (cinematics)
World of WarCraft -- Jason Hayes (lead composer), Glenn Stafford, Derek Duke, Tracy Bush

Did I get that right?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: