Music By Jason
November 24, 2017, 08:05:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: musics of jason Hayes  (Read 34157 times)
Vinnie Johnson

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2005, 05:40:08 AM »

why not put all your musics on your forum, Jason?

it's just a thougt...
 Cheesy

Certain games are old, but the musics do not deserve to age  :cry:

Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 08:25:20 AM »

One reason that I can think of as to why Jason does not host the music he has written for games, is that as part of the gaming industry climate, the composer relinquishes all copyright to the company (not really by their own choice, as far as I understand it it is merely the state of the industry).

In this case, if he hosted music that he wrote while working for a company, then the company could probably take legal action against him for copyright breach. Shocked

Vinnie Johnson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 08:52:23 AM »

however I saw that certain musicians put their music
 Smiley
 I think that that would be a good idea

jason put the music of warcraft Shocked

Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 02:15:11 PM »

Vince,

Not all composers are allowed to post their compositions on public forums. Melda is saying that he believes that Jason doesn't have permission to repost soundtrack material here.

When Jason finishes his album, then maybe you can ask again!  :wink:
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 11:51:48 PM »

Thank-you for better explaining what I meant! Smiley

Quote from: "Mastervince"
however I saw that certain musicians put their music

That is probably because they either own the copyright to their own music, or the company has given them permission to host the files open to the public. I know that Sierra let Ben Houge, the composer for Arcanum do this. It definitely attracts visitors to their website.

I think that that would be a good idea

So do I, but it's all up to what the company wants to allow. Sad

jason put the music of warcraft Shocked

Jason has put up four short tracks on his main page, yes, but I think you will find that they are pieces which Blizzard have already posted on their website. Therefore it's already released material, which they might be more lenient with . . . or they gave him permission to use them, also.

I don't know . . . but refer to Adam's post before this -- he explains it better than I. Smiley

Vinnie Johnson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 04:10:04 AM »

It is astonishing that it is copyrights for the old plays there!

Or to obtain the music of Jason?

Are there compilations on sale?

Cheesy

Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 04:17:08 AM »

Copyright lasts until fifty (or eighty, depending on the country) years until after the copyright-holder's death. In the case of a company owning property, I guess it means the copyright is owned by the company unless they give it away, or until well after the company becomes backrupt or collapses. At least that's my guess, since I don't study law, and it may differ from country to country.

To obtain the music of Jason?

Unfortuantely, the only legal avenue for obtaining Jason's work is by purchasing World of WarCraft. If you buy the Collector's Edition, it comes with a free soundtrack CD. Other than that, I believe that by extracting the music from the data files of the game, as long as you use it for yourself, then it may be legal. If you allow others access to the extracted music, I believe that is infringement of copyright.

Unfortunately, most of the cinematics music that Jason writes is only accessable as part of the audio track of the cinematics, with sound effects included.

It is hoped that Blizzard may one day release commercially available soundtracks for their games, but so far they seem uninsterested in this idea.

Vinnie Johnson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 04:31:42 AM »

It is very difficult to obtain the music of Jason Hayes!

Certain games have more than 5 years, I believe.

I will like to know what Jason thinks.
 :wink:

Jason
Game and Film Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 12:20:06 AM »

Hi Mastervince-

Well, I think it's kind of a drag to not have the copyright. But that's pretty much the state of the game industry, unfortunately. This is one of the big reasons I'm excited to be doing an original album, because I can actually release it publicly!
Steelish

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 02:06:31 PM »

What if jason releases the sheet music, so we can replay it within our own orchestras/bands or whatever. Sure it's the music, but it's not the ACTUAL music. Just written on sheets.

eparted.. from us.
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 03:10:30 PM »

Quote from: "Steelish"
What if jason releases the sheet music, so we can replay it within our own orchestras/bands or whatever. Sure it's the music, but it's not the ACTUAL music. Just written on sheets.

Blizzard hold Jason's work as intellectual property -- that includes sheet music.

Distributing that would be an infringement of the law.

However, if someone cluey enough would sit down and transcribe the music by ear . . .

Jason
Game and Film Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 05:50:48 PM »

Hi Steelish. Actually, there have been a few people/organizations who have gotten permission to use the music for performance. There's "Video Games Live", the "Symphonic Game Music Concert" in Europe, and the new "Play! Video Game Symphony". But in addition to things like this, there are also some more eclectic applications. For example, there is a high school in Illinois that recently competed with a "World of Warcraft" suite of music arranged for marching band (they got a 'superior' rating in their division!) and even a request by a couple that wanted to perform the "human tavern" music (of all things) at their wedding Smiley

All of this had to go through Blizzard, but it's cool that they've been willing to honor some of the requests.
Steven
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 04:51:39 PM »

Quote from: "Melda"
Quote from: "Steelish"

Blizzard hold Jason's work as intellectual property -- that includes sheet music.

Distributing that would be an infringement of the law.

However, if someone cluey enough would sit down and transcribe the music by ear . . .

Call me crazy, but I'm planning on doing just that! XD I've done a lot of that sort of thing before, and I'm now planning on trying Cinematic Suite. I'll tell everyone how it turns out.  :wink:

www.freewebs.com/filezupload
(see www.freewebs.com/filezupload3 for my latest work, for the Moonlight Path project)
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 11:40:14 PM »

Excellent.

I can't wait to see the results.

Steelish

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 04:50:50 AM »

Make it in Base Clef please!

eparted.. from us.