Music By Jason
December 14, 2017, 10:54:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Game Themes  (Read 33432 times)
Daelin
Approved Mod Maker

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2005, 12:45:48 AM »

Ok,

I'm pretty curious what's your favorite music themes from games. And can we exclude Blizzard games here? We all know that those themes are cool, but I would really like to hear some cool themes and background music I could listen. Wink

I for one was extremely happy when I found Final Fantasy VIII because of the music. It is amazing, simply amazing. Though it may annoy some people, I love it! I struggled a lot of time to get those songs. First I got some crappy MIDIs but then I got my claws on some mp3s. And still, I wasn't really happy with some of them since they weren't replicas from the game, so I recorded them myself from ingame.

Oh yeah, and my favorite theme is "Force your Way", the theme in which you fight boss monsters. I like the instruments, the harmonies (well, they are not really harmonies Tongue), the dynamism in which the theme was made, and when I listen to it and makes me feel really good.

Can't wait to see some interesting themes. Wink

~Daelin
Freakazoid
Approved Mod Maker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 02:35:03 PM »

FF8, Don't be afrid, i love that. If you play Digimon Digital world 2 on PSX, it has good music (no i am not a spoild brat, the game took me 160 hours to finish) it also in FF style.

Well, why exlude blizzars games. My father loves music from WoW, so do I Smiley

urrent projects:
-Saga of Varimos-
Interlude- 44%
Map 1- 47%
Map-2 - 52%
----------------------------------------
-WCIII: WOW-
--Curently on HOLD--
----------------------------------------
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 05:33:54 PM »

Arcanum soundtrack, by Ben Houge -- gorgeous.

Morrowind soundtrack, by Jeremy Soule -- immersive (just hearing the soundtrack makes me want to reinstall the game and waste another three months of my life!).

Edit: I just realised another . . . a classic old game -- Duke Nukem 3D. And not just the cool rock-styled intro music, but all of the in-game music, too. And there was a track written for every single level of the game! Over two hours of music!

Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 12:17:16 AM »

Halo, FFX, X-2 (THE END SONG IS FREAKIN AMAZING), Beyond Good and Evil...Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Mario (ANY Mario), Zelda Themes, Fantasy Zone (I and II), Tetris...just of the top of my head...I'll add more later.
SnakeEyes
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 11:05:46 PM »

OK... here it goes:

Doom, All of Doom series.

Duke Nukem 3D

Castlevania (The best ever)

Castle Excellent (I loved those beeps and bops) (For MSX)

Titanic I and Titanic II for MSX by Gominolas

The Goonies for MSX

World of Warcraft and the Warcraft Series as well

The 7th Guest!!! By the Fatman (great soundtrack)

The 11th Hour (By the Fatman as well)

Star Wars games in general have pretty good music (mix from parts of the movies and additions by game composers).

Outcast,

The secret of Monkey Island and the whole series,

Grim Fandango!!!!

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis ( with some movie parts, some new parts)

Maniac Mansion I and II

The whole Police Quest Series, Quest for Glory (Heroes Quest) series, King's Quest series

Gabriel Knight Series (Great music by Robert Holmes, a must)

Diablo and Diablo II,

And that's all I can remember I love  Cheesy I am sure there's more I am forgetting....
Daelin
Approved Mod Maker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 04:51:02 AM »

Wow, those are many.

I'd also like to add Syberia 1 and 2, Dune 2000 and Dune 2 (dune 2 music is not that great but reminds me of old times, when I was 4, 5 years old), Hocus Pocus (some old DOS game but the music was pretty cool), Master of Magic (again... old times), and, they are becoming quite too many to post here. Cheers!

And btw, I'm posting so many old games because I had a 386 for about 8 years, and it was the only computer in the house. Only then I got a Celeron at 533 and right now I have a Pentium 4. Sorry for being offtopic.

~Daelin
Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 09:09:25 AM »

I hope to God that they re-release a bunch of those old Sega Master System games. I swear, the music in Sega Games were SOOO much better than the majority of Nintendo games. That's my biased opinion! LOL!!!!

Sure, Mario, Zelda, and that Mana game were pretty kick-ass, but Sega ALWAYS had good music.

so Tongue

haha!!!!

I LOVE SEGA MS!!!
Pawe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 09:53:30 AM »

Excellent Topic.

Anyway to start this somehow, I must mention the legendary game; Crusader: No Remorse. Now that game had a really kick-ass music. The main menu theme was something... just gorgeous. And the whole plot (well, I don't actually now how good the plot would be nowadays, but hey! I'm talking about the DOS times here) was... amazing. The second game would be Command & Conquer. The atmosphere, the tempo of the game... pre-rendered animation! And real Actors! Then.. Unreal Tournament (the first one) and Deus Ex. All those games had a great music. Although they are quite old but... Hmm.

Beyond Good & Evil had a nice soundtrack, thank god I managed to get it my hands. And if you count Lord of the Rings games  Cheesy then of course, thanks for the licenses etc. EA made a damn good job with that series. That should be all. And by the way, it's nice to see that not everyone mentions the FF series, because in my opinion, the hyper epical orchestra is booooring.

Over and out.

n the fullness of time. Expect me you see me.
SnakeEyes
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 09:22:57 PM »

I think I am the only one here with the joy of having played more than 300 hundred games on the MSX system right? This system was very successfull commercially in Japan and in Brazil and it had a nice FM yamaha sound chip I think which allowed for great music.

If you guys can, I would recomend trying some MSX games (you can get blueMSX the emulator and some games at http://members.home.nl/g.h.kruishaar/dsklist.htm for the list of games and http://members.home.nl/g.h.kruishaar/dske.htm for lots of games ) don't worry MSX is not being sold anymore and all those games can be downloaded/installed without worrying about piracy.

Anyway, I know I am also off-topic but those games really had great music and many of them (ah... Nemesis for MSX) I can still whistle the tunes like if I was playing yesterday.

Its a shame the MSX system never got off here in the US... we had games like Antartic Adventure (great music) Animal Wars (funny music) Circus Charlie (circus music!!!) and so many more... Knightmare had a very nice music that really fit the game perfectly.

OoooooOOOO!!!! Also how could I ever forget, La Abadia Del Crimen (its a MSX game based on the book/movie The Name of The Rose) its a great game, nice music (it gets to my nerves after playing for 3 hours) but it was nice at the time...

The nice thing about those MSX games is that it seems to me most of the music was very melodic, many games being developed in Brazil/Japan...

Hope I wasn't tooo much off topic  :wink:
MostlyDifferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 02:16:55 AM »

In no particular order, an incomplete list:

Mario (1, 2, 3, World, Yoshi's Island, Dr., Kart, and more)
Zelda
Starfox
Sonic the Hedgehog
Katamari Damacy
Majesty
Battlefield 1942 (who knew that the same 3 seconds looped with a bit of variation could be so effective?)

----

SnakeEyes: Yamaha is (was?) the master of FM.  The SY99 to my right is evidence of this.  I think it's a bummer that sound cards these days rarely have anything but playback, bad general midi, and reverb effects.

url=http://www.mostlydifferent.com]www.mostlydifferent.com[/url]
Thanatos

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 10:34:36 AM »

Let's see...

Final Fantasy VII and VIII
Starcraft
Metal Gear Solid
God of War
Unreal
Unreal Tournament (the original!)

Can't think of anything else right now...
Alexander
Mosaic Competition Winner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 03:48:27 PM »

Most of my favs have been mentioned (the Blizzard lot, Monkey Island), but I see no one seems to remember these excellent scores:

Baldur's Gate I & II
Icewind Dale
the whole Total War series (that guy rocks)

and finally, probably my favourite score of all time:

Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate.

The soundtrack of this game consists of epic choirs reciting extremely imposing hymns and the result is amazing.

I wonder, does anyone have any tracks from Chaos Gate in mp3 format? I am looking for the whole score but have only found three or four songs. The music was composed by some team called Jim Crew.
Avaronald
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 10:07:43 AM »

Jeremy Soule's Guildwars soundtrack is fabulous!  Smiley

NiklasHS

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 05:14:29 PM »

Total Audio's Myth-series. Absolutely fantastic. Gives me goose bumps.
DarkOMEN

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 06:35:53 PM »

And here I thought I was the sole person left who knew what Hocus Pocus was.  ^^  I'll add Chrono Trigger, Mechwarrior 2, Max Payne 2 (never played it) and the Doom series (all titles) to the list.  I know Doom was said, but I felt compelled to express my own appreciation for it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: