Music By Jason
December 14, 2018, 09:52:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nearing Graduation...  (Read 5790 times)
arudius

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2005, 08:59:29 AM »

Jason, I have always been a fan of your style and your music, especially the starcraft series. I am a CWP (Contemporary Writing & Production) major here at Berklee in Boston...I am looking to move out West when I'm done, as I am trying to set something up so I have a place to work and move to after I graduate in May '06. I was curious what would be the best way to go about finding a staff composing job like you had at Sierra On-Line? Any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Nathan Cool
Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 05:15:10 PM »

Hey, welcome brother. Adam here. Long story short, there is no easy...actually, there is no 'way' in to the system. You need to get an internship or something of the sorts...perhaps take a gig as a game tester and work your way up. You can always contact HR and send in demos. There are tons of mods that need work on THIS forum!

lets hear your stuff!
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 09:05:40 AM »

Yes, as far as I can tell, that's right.

Apparently quite a few game companies take mod work fairly seriously -- depends on the quality of the mod and the work involved, naturally -- because it's seen as work experience without pay (so less monetary reward, which shows you're dedicated and autonomous).

So I would definitely encourage you to try your hand at writing some music for one of the mods advertised on this site.

Experience is essential, and just like working on student films is a valuable experience (and folio-worthy), game modifications can be, also.

To use a non-musical example, a mod maker based at SAmods made a successful mod, but he doesn't do any mod-work, anymore . . . the reason being -- Blizzard actually gave him a job, based on what they saw of his work.

So I definitely encourage you to work on mods, especially since we have so many willing people who have advertised their projects here for composers to work on.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: