Music By Jason
January 21, 2020, 12:44:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting Equipment  (Read 7464 times)
Mymloch

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2005, 08:13:07 AM »

Hey everyone,
I'm working on getting the maximum set-up for what I have at my disposal for PC composition, and I am wondering if you all had any ideas.

I have a MIDI keyboard, but do not seem to have a port for it on the PC's motherboard (sounds like I need a card - in which case, what is a good, yet inexpensive card?).  

I have Acid 3.0, Sibelius 2.0, Finale Notepad, and even the MTV Music Generator for PC (a neat little toy that I like to play with occassionally).  

For now, I am restricted to taking samples I can find online and breaking them up and bending the pitches to spell out the notes I want in the rhythm I want them, which is a REAL pain.  

I would much rather play what i want on the keyboard, but then the matter of timing comes into play.  

I need a program that will recognize the MIDI and record from it, and is user friendly enough to piece together my own clips.

Thanks in advance.
SnakeEyes
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 06:16:58 PM »

What you want is a sequencer, a pretty cheap one I would say is cakewalk homestudio (you can always try to get Sonar also from cakewalk) and I am sure there are many other sequencers around... do a search on google, you may even find a shareware/freeware sequencer. That will allow you to play (or point and click) your midi music and have it recorded.
Tom Servo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 09:40:08 PM »

Hey Mymloch ... what you need is a MIDI interface that will hook up to your PC. Go out and get a MIDIMAN 2X2 or a MIDIMAN 4X4 .. but I think a 2X2 would be sufficient.  This will allow for you to plug in MIDI in and out cables from your keyboard into this interface (which is basically a box) and then from the interface it goes USB into your PC.  2X2 means it has two MIDI inputs and 2 MIDI outputs.  It might come with an installation disk, but your computer should recognize it and start recognizing MIDI input in programs like Finale and such.  I'm not all that familiar with Acid, but some of the more "pro" sequencers are Cakewalk's SONAR, Apple's Logic, MOTU's Digital Performer, and Steinberg's Cubase.  Look into these programs.  They are probably more money than you might be looking to spend, but it might also be better than buying a cheap one now just to buy a better one later.  

However you want to work it .... but get a hold of a MIDI interface and learn as much as you can about MIDI controllers and input parameters.

good luck!  -Tom Servo

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -Aldous Huxley
---------------------------
www.jeffkurtenacker.com
Mymloch

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 08:56:53 AM »

Ok, I just bought a Soundblaster Audigy Platinum Pro sound card and it came with Cubasis.  I can now connect my keyboard to the PC and have a decent program to work with.

Now, I have to learn how to use the PC as an instrument.
Avaronald
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 12:31:30 PM »

Mymloch, I recommend that as a software you would get Sibelius 3, if you only can. It is expensive, I know, but it'll pay itself back in no time. I have it and I can say it is good. If you want really good, you could consider purchacing Sibelius 4, which is my next purchace (it will take some time though, I used my last savings to by the 3...  Sad )

Audigy rules...! :lol:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: