Music By Jason
June 24, 2018, 04:49:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recommend soundtracks  (Read 30088 times)
andromeda

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2005, 12:56:37 AM »

post your favorite soundtracks here I want to collect some brilliant game music

my favorite: splinter cell 3, Commandos 3 , return to castlewolfstein and all blizzerd in game music
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 01:19:57 AM »

Hey, there.

You should probably check out the thread Favourite Game Theme in The Round Table forum (hmm, probably should be in this forum, shouldn't it?).

But as I said there . . .

Quote from: "Melda"
Arcanum soundtrack, by Ben Houge -- gorgeous.

Morrowind soundtrack, by Jeremy Soule -- immersive (just hearing the soundtrack makes me want to reinstall the game and waste another three months of my life!).

Edit: I just realised another . . . a classic old game -- Duke Nukem 3D. And not just the cool rock-styled intro music, but all of the in-game music, too. And there was a track written for every single level of the game! Over two hours of music!

And now that you mention it, I seem to remember liking the music from Return to Castle Wolfentein, too.

Avaronald
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 11:01:24 AM »

Guildwars theme and Autumn in Ascalon by Jeremy Soule (Guildwars soundtrack)
Legends of Azeroth, Song of Elune and Stormwind by Jason Hayes (World of Warcraft soundtrack)

To mention a few my favourites...

andromeda

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 03:14:00 AM »

and Panzer General 2 music by Kevin Manthei who did SC: ghost soundtrack, the BGM in the 2002 singleplay trailer is impressive, i'm really looking forward to it

German Theme
http://www.kmmproductions.com/mu_panz.htm
King Klear
Approved Mod Maker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 07:52:41 AM »

The Neverhood Chronicle, by Terry S. Taylor

That's the sort of a soundtrack you can NEVER forget.

The music is as bizzare as the game itlself. I can't cathegorise it, I suppose it's something close to jazz, but it's very, very weird.

Just read some "lyrics" here, if you want to get at least slight idea on what I'm talking about...  Cheesy

Edit: I forgot to add that in the game, there is a puzzle involving radio. For that purpose T. S. Taylor made several "radio stations", including my favorite "Sound Effects Record #32. Man reading (pause), man relaxing (pause), woman in outer space (pause)..." etc.

Funkmaister
Mod Composer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 06:39:06 AM »

I think my fav game sound track of all time has got to be Jeremy Soule's soundtrack for Icewind Dale.
He says it's the one he is most proud of himself, and so he should be. It's so atmosferic and beautifull...
Steven
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 02:45:25 PM »

I myself find the Soul Calibur 2 and 3 soundtracks to be really good. Worth getting, I'd say. What else is there that hasn't already been said...well, Super  Smash Brothers Melee had some good stuff (granted, most of it is remix versions of lots of nintendo music, but it is good), as well as Metal Gear Solid, naturally. Eternal Darkness had some interesting stuff and nobody will ever forget the infamous Final Fantasy. One that's perhaps less well known is Redguard, one of the Elder Scrolls more ancient projects. It's music's fantastic. That's one of the soundtracks I used to listen to, arrange and play on piano for months on end before leaving it for a while, then coming back to it only to find myself hooked again XD. I think that's a fair list there...

www.freewebs.com/filezupload
(see www.freewebs.com/filezupload3 for my latest work, for the Moonlight Path project)
Thanatos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 05:36:39 PM »

I said it before but I'll say it again... Shadow of the Colossus.  Especially the battles with the Colossi songs are really good.  I think Kow composes some of the best - if not the best - melodies out there.  The music has a very dramatical tone without trying to be excessively spectacular, which IMO happens too often these days.
gotri

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 07:36:07 AM »

You want to listen to something good? Well Smiley There will be many of them. Here is my list (it isn't sorted - I love everything equally Smiley ):

Game music:

- World of Warcraft Soundtrack(OST and In-Game) by Jason Hayes
- World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade(OST and In-Game) by Russel Brower, Derek Duke and Matt Uelmen
- Diablo 2 and Expansion OST by Matt Uelmen
- Heroes of Might and Magic 5 soundtrack by Rob king & Paul Romero
- Heroes of Might and Magic III soundtrack (I don't know composers - probably the same as in HoMM 5)
- Dark Messiah of Might and Magic OST by Cris Velasco and Sascha Dikiciyan
- Fable: The Lost Chapters OST by Russell Shaw and Danny Elfman
- Ice Wind Dale 2 OST (don't know the composer)
- Ice Wind Dale OST by Jeremy Soule
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind soundtrack by Jeremy Soule
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion soundtrack by Jeremy Soule

There are few others, but now I can't think of any Smiley So now we go to movies:

- Star Wars Grin soundtrack by John Williams
- Lord of the Rings(especially The Two Towers)OST by Howard Shore
- The 300 OST by Tyler Bates
- Beowulf OST by Alan Silvestri

And that's all I can think of now. There is much more music out there, that I enjoy, and I haven't listed even the half of what I listen to addictively Smiley Hope helped someone  Wink
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 12:12:22 PM by gotri » Logged
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 12:32:26 AM »

Star Wars composer unknown?

*laugh*

John William's the most well-known film composer in the world, as far as I'm aware. Tongue

Hehe

gotri

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 12:11:43 PM »

Sorry, editing right now Smiley
AltaSilvaPuer

The Town Fool

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 10:29:53 AM »

Gasp!  Melda returns!  Welcome back.  Cheesy

-asp

"Inspiration may be a form of super-consciousness,
or perhaps of subconsciousness—I wouldn't know.
But I am sure it is the antithesis of self-consciousness."
- Aaron Copland
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 02:02:31 PM »

Smiley

I still monitor the site. I just generally don't have time to do much else, like post. Wink

TM119

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 01:23:04 PM »

Soul Calibur soundtracks, it's a compilation of soundtracks that are just epic.
Morrowind and Icewind dale soundtracks. I still listen to those. 40 hours into morrowind and I'm still not tired of the 7 some tracks it has.
Final Fantasy 12, tactics and Odinsphere soundtracks. Sakimoto's music is enshadowed by Uematsu's riegn over popular VG culture.  Uematsu writese better thematic music but Sakimoto writes strait out of impressionism, his textures are equivilant to Ravels work and is structurally and theoretically much more sophisticated than most music you ever hear. ever. the FFXII track is a masterpiece that lends itself to the storyline precisely.
Steven
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 03:49:32 PM »

Ah yes, I recently got FFXII and it does indeed have a good soundtrack...then again, I've come to expect that from those games ^^. And yeah, I mentioned Soul Calibur briefly before; it does have great music. And with the more complex story modes and stuff happening now with the 3rd game and I assume subsequent games, there's more room for the music writers to experiment. I'm a big fan of the Devil May Cry soundtracks as well - particularly the cinematic music in the the 3rd game.

www.freewebs.com/filezupload
(see www.freewebs.com/filezupload3 for my latest work, for the Moonlight Path project)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: