Music By Jason
August 20, 2018, 10:41:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COMPLETED: Pact of Vengeance *Melda*  (Read 36217 times)
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 08:13:26 AM »

For anyone interested in learning about the film scoring process, behind the scenes documentary-like analysis, or just like reading my ramblings, I will be posting a detailed and highly critical analysis of my score for this cinematic soon.

And by 'highly critical', what I mean is that I'm going to be perfectly blunt about what I think works and what doesn't and why.

Now I just have to hack away at the score and figure out what I want to praise and what I want to bury. Tongue

MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 02:55:21 AM »

looking forward to that Smiley

Music is the only art that does not merely copy ideas, but actually embodies the will itself.

Arthur Schopenhauer
Steven
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »

Sounds good! I'll definitely be interested in that =)

www.freewebs.com/filezupload
(see www.freewebs.com/filezupload3 for my latest work, for the Moonlight Path project)
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 11:32:41 AM »

Hey, sorry about the delay with this.

It's still on my to-do list, but I'm not sure how soon I'll get to it; my fiancée broke her leg so I'm looking after her until she can gain enough mobility to hop around unassisted.

So while I am free to check email and post on the forums, I don't really have any stretches of time to dedicate to sitting down and writing an analysis.

I'm still going to do it, though; I'll let you know how it's progressing when I get around to it. Smiley

MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 11:45:18 PM »

Hey Melda,

that's too bad Sad Wish your fiancée a speedy recovery for us, will ya? :-)

Music is the only art that does not merely copy ideas, but actually embodies the will itself.

Arthur Schopenhauer
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 01:14:32 AM »

Will do! And thanks for the thoughts. Smiley

Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »

Okay, I have an analysis of this score done!

Firstly, though, does everyone have the Sibelius Scorch plug-in (or be willing to install it), or should I generate a .pdf copy?

AltaSilvaPuer

The Town Fool

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »

Ah, I've heard of Scorch!  It would probably be quite useful to start using, from what I've heard of it.  I don't have it, yet, though.

Both might be best, if possible, though.

-asp

"Inspiration may be a form of super-consciousness,
or perhaps of subconsciousness—I wouldn't know.
But I am sure it is the antithesis of self-consciousness."
- Aaron Copland
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 03:45:09 AM »

Hey, in case anyone's thought I've forgotten about this; I haven't. I sketched out a draft analysis on a plane flight a few weeks ago, but it's taking a lot longer putting it into words than I thought.

Once I finish it and figure out where to upload the file, I'll provide a .pdf copy that includes excepts of the score, along with a copy of the entire score as an appendix.

I've had a few complications in life on this end (broken leg --- not mine!) so that's disrupted my efforts somewhat.

But after I get this finished and uploaded I'm going to start writing structural analyses of game soundtracks, including WarCraft II, Diablo, StarCraft, WarCraft III, Morrowind, Oblivion and others!

They won't necessarily delve too deeply into the stylistic decisions or qualities of the soundtracks, mostly just examining the different structural approaches to game soundtracks I have noticed.

So yeah . . . hopefully I will have the Pact of Vengeance analysis done within one week's time. Pester me if I haven't!

Vinnie Johnson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 03:33:36 AM »

But after I get this finished and uploaded I'm going to start writing structural analyses of game soundtracks, including WarCraft II, Diablo, StarCraft, WarCraft III, Morrowind, Oblivion and others!

great  Wink

Jeremy Soule thinks that the best book of orchestration is "Orchestration" of Walter Piston.

However he says me that he doesn't use an orchestration in live, it's not a "true" orchestration like in real.

I have saw that John Williams uses this orchestra too :

1 piccolo, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 1 english horn, 2 clarinets, 1 bass clarinet, 2 bassoons, 1 contrabassoons, 4 french horns, 3 trumpets in C or Bb, 2 tenor trombones, 1 bass trombone, 1 tuba in f, 1st Violins, 2ds Violins, Violas, Violoncellos, Double basses
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:38:46 AM by Mastervince » Logged

Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 04:27:37 AM »

Hey, that's a really good point. I may have miscommunicated what I meant by 'structural analysis'. Smiley

What I should have said was 'structural analysis of the music in time/duration', not focusing on the harmonic or orchestration elements.

I'll be looking at the different approaches used to incorporate music into the experience of the games in time, and how those music tracks are structured within themselves (i.e. form).

Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 06:53:18 AM »

Okay, my brief analysis is completely done. All in all, it clocked in around four and a half thousand words.

It doesn't seem like I really went that in depth, but that is still a lot of words.

My obstacle now is finding somewhere to upload a 33 meg .pdf file.

I used to have file hosting, but apparently I don't anymore.

If anyone knows where I can upload it, please let me know!

In the meantime, I can post the text of it; you'll just miss out on the graphical excerpts from the score I've peppered through the document.

Steven
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 09:32:22 AM »

You should just be able to make a freewebs site to upload it on. =) Alternatively, maybe upload at sendspace/megaupload or something like that.

www.freewebs.com/filezupload
(see www.freewebs.com/filezupload3 for my latest work, for the Moonlight Path project)
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 06:15:19 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions. Smiley

I've had some luck, though, because my friend Xaran Alamas at the Rampaging Polygons forums has agreed to let me host files on his FTP. Cheesy

I should be able to post the analysis within the next twenty-four hours or so.

You'll understand why I needed file hosting rather than just posting it as text in the forum once you get a few pages in. Wink

Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 06:23:30 AM »

Okay, here is a PDF version of my analysis/review of the Pact of Vengeance soundtrack I wrote.

Be warned: the file is 34 megabytes.

And thanks be to Xaran Alamas, owner of the Rampaging Polygons website, for providing me with file hosting.  Grin

I will be posting an in-text version here in the forum within the next few days, but there are some things I need to tweak before that will work, and I thought I had delayed this analysis enough as it is.

So if anyone wants to brave a thirty-odd meg PDF file, feel free to do so. Wink A copy of the sheet music is included at the end of the analysis.

If you're not up to downloading so huge a file, I will try and get the in-thread textual version posted and polished as soon as I can.

Enjoy!  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: