Music By Jason
January 21, 2020, 12:43:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bugs in your MIDI playback?  (Read 5934 times)
Goliath

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2005, 03:37:09 PM »

I just got Print Music 2006, and I'm really mad because, well, it's a total piece of junk.

I upgraded from Print Music 2004 which has a decent playback.  It made the piece sound like it was in a room with great acoustics.  Once in a while the plaback either gets fuzzy or has "bleeps" during playback.  I figured this would no longer be a problem in the 2006 version, but no!   :evil: It's  WORSE!  The tempo gets screwed up, and the "bleeps" and whatnot are worse.  Cost me 30 bucks to upgrade...now it seems like it was a 30 dollar downgrade.  And when I try to convert into MP3 files it's based on the crappy playback, it still sounds terrible.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem like this and what you've done to solve it.  Thanks in advance.

rink up me 'earties yo-ho!
MostlyDifferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 12:19:51 AM »

If you're worried about playback quality, use a sequencing program rather than a notation program.

PrintMusic isn't a program I'd recommend upgrading.  Rather, it's the budget version of Finale.  Use it for as long as it works and as long as you want to delay the shelling out of $200+ for Finale or Sibelius.  Continually upgrading a program that is considered a stepping stone to the pricier options isn't worth it.  Just be glad you're *only* $30 out.  Pocket change in the world of audio equipment.

Don't expect spectacular quality out of a product in that price range.  Yes, it can happen, but those are the exceptions to the rule.  Also, I wouldn't use "great acoustics" to describe the general midi included in '04.  Then again, I'm picky and consider the Vienna Philharmonic library "preferable to only the worst botched live recordings" in acoustical quality.

And, yes, Finale is flaky in playback too, moreso in 2006 than 2004 (it turns some of my scores into Ives-esque collages).  When I'm doing something for which sound quality matters, I save the midi file from Finale and open it in ProTools or Logic.

url=http://www.mostlydifferent.com]www.mostlydifferent.com[/url]
Goliath

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 08:20:55 PM »

Ok.

Thanks for the info.  I'm currently e-mailing one of their technical services to see if anything can be done  :?

rink up me 'earties yo-ho!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: