Music By Jason
January 18, 2020, 06:42:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aspiring Game-music-writer  (Read 6299 times)
zeldafan

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2006, 05:26:48 AM »

Hey jason,

I am a big fan of game-music. I like the Zelda:OoT soundtrack, WoW soundtrack, Zelda:MM soundtrack and many other 64 game soundtracks. I like the medieval based music similar to WoW and other medieval games. I want to make my own music someday but i have no real musical foundations.
Is writing music to WoW similar to writing a poem? How do you pull of such a sweet sounding track? I am interested in writing music, is their a particular instrument i should learn which would definately help me understand musical scores better? Please let me know,

Big fan, Jon
MostlyDifferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 10:38:34 AM »

Learning any instrument is probably the best way to start on the road to composition.  The choice of instrument is a big decision to make, though you can switch or add instruments at any time (with a new learning curve, of course).

Perhaps the biggest difference is between piano and band/orchestral instruments.  Piano allows you to realize a greater wealth of harmonies by yourself, and as a composer you should have at least *some* piano chops.  However, as an instrumentalist in an ensemble, you become more quickly aware of how instruments interact with each other, what sorts of lines they each play, what colors go well together, etc... that is, how to make the kind of sound you want.

In essence, I'd suggest to plan to eventually learn both piano and an orchestral instrument.  Start off with one, so you're not overwhelmed.  I'd personally recommend an ensemble instrument first, as it's a more social, interactive experience.  If you're having trouble deciding, perhaps find out what instruments are in high demand in ensembles in your area.

url=http://www.mostlydifferent.com]www.mostlydifferent.com[/url]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: