Music By Jason
November 24, 2017, 08:04:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SMF - Just Installed!  (Read 22154 times)
Sylvos

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2007, 12:19:25 PM »

My, my, my... what have we got here? A brand new theme? I feel a change in the winds. Looks promising... I feel there's something big coming right on to us... Take heed gents!  Tongue
Steven
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 03:37:35 PM »

Yeah - the new layout is looking good. =)

www.freewebs.com/filezupload
(see www.freewebs.com/filezupload3 for my latest work, for the Moonlight Path project)
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 06:55:40 AM »

Hey there. "Smiley

This is something we were working for quite some time, but didn't get a chance to get around to it until fairly recently.

Sorry for my lack of activity --- I'm currently working fulltime and barely have time to scratch myself. Tongue

I mean, to, uh, check forums. Cheesy

"Smiley

Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 08:52:37 AM »

I was thinking, just for fun, why not adopt the "Blue Posts" style by Blizzard guys where the mods/admins posts are submitted with a certain color that cannot be utilized by anyone else?  Grin
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 07:31:52 PM »

Hmm . . . I'll look into whether we have the functionality or not. Smiley

Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 11:01:47 PM »

I've had a look into it, and I can't see how we can do this.

It might be built into the particular theme they use over there.

AltaSilvaPuer

The Town Fool

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 04:43:00 AM »

In theory, it's just a matter of identifying the admins and the posts they leave.  The only problem is that that's usually easier said than done, as most forum software just uses "Post - Odd #" and "Post - Even #"

If you see any variables or such either for posts or for their posters, then you're in business.

-asp

"Inspiration may be a form of super-consciousness,
or perhaps of subconsciousness—I wouldn't know.
But I am sure it is the antithesis of self-consciousness."
- Aaron Copland
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 06:37:04 AM »

I've looked into it, and I can't see how to make this work without editing the theme itself.

And unfortunately I don't actually know how to edit the theme.

I will keep looking, though. Smiley

Vincent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 06:53:08 AM »

It's not "just" some theme modifications but also modifications on the PHP code itself to make this work.
Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 05:08:17 AM »

How about we have a "Thanks" button next to those like "Reply" or "Quote" where people can thank the poster instead of posting a message, etc? I saw that on many forums and I thought it'd be nice to have that here too.
AltaSilvaPuer

The Town Fool

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 05:44:36 AM »

You know, speaking of other forums.  I'm also a regular at the Cartographer's Guild and they did their ranking, etc, in a very interesting way.  Rather than being based on post count (which is listed, but ignored beyond that), ranks are governed by 'reputation'.  Rep is community-given and community-driven; it's given usually as recognition for a well-done map or tutorial, or sometimes for a new member's if they post a map in their first post.

If you're curious, the website is http://forum.cartographersguild.com/index.php  I just checked, and you can see all of the profile stuff without having to log in.  (You can't see things like posted images and such, though)  A good example is the forumer at the top of this link: http://forum.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4971&page=4
Steel General is a rather well-known member and community leader, and has been around long enough to have built up quite a bit of rep (301, to be exact, which is pretty large, comparatively).

Giving someone rep is achieved by a little 'scale' button under the picture, next to the online/offline symbol (the blue circle at the bottom of the profile box) and including an optional message of why you're giving rep.  The system calculates the rep given, somehow, though, and there are some limits on it.  I'm not sure of them, myself, but I know you can only rep one person so much before you have to go 'spread it around' by repping other people for a while, ensuring that one person doesn't get the only praise.

I haven't decided whether our group is large enough for that to be a good idea (assuming it is possible), but it might be worth a shot.  I know they use vbulletin, instead of SMF, though.  I don't know much of anything about either, so I'm no help there.

-Matthew

- Aaron Copland
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 08:04:52 AM »

I like both of these ideas.

I think a system where you can 'add reputation' for a member for posts that greatly contribute to the forum would be good. And if you bring up their 'reputation' information it should link back to the particular posts they received the reputation for.

The only misgiving I have is that I have seen this kind of system misused before. But that was a much larger community, with much less goodwill. And there is one key difference in that system: they had the option to give negative reputation, which is just asking for trouble.

So yes . . . Jason is working on updating the forums as we speak, so keep these ideas coming and we will see what we can incorporate as we go along. Smiley
* Melda imaginary adds 'Thanks!' tabs to the previous two posts. Tongue

AltaSilvaPuer

The Town Fool

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »

To 'borrow' another idea from Cartographer's Guild, there's the notion of Software.

The preferences of one software over another seem to get a lot of conversation time, around here, so I think it might be useful.

On CG, when editing profile data, there's an optional section for the software/tools of the trade/etc.  Whatever you put in said section is then displayed underneath the user's avatar to the left of each post.

To refer back to that same post linked directly, before, Steel General apparently uses "Photoshop, Genetica viewer, anything else that I can get a grasp of and seems useful".

One good part about the software listing is that it's optional.  If you have something in it, it makes it easier to answer specific questions about various ways to go about creating some desired effect or something, as well.  But as demonstrated, now, it's possible to get by without it, if someone chooses not to do so.

I'm heading to work, now, but I'll try to think a little more of some while I'm there.  I figure the more ideas we throw at you two (both good and bad), the more you have from which to choose, and the better the forum we get in the end.  You get out of life what you put into it, eh?

-asp

- Aaron Copland
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 01:01:37 AM »

I agree; definitely keep throwing your ideas at us. Smiley

And yes, the software question does come up quite a bit and could definitely be useful as an optional profile field.

AltaSilvaPuer

The Town Fool

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 10:32:53 AM »

So how go the updates?  Any further work on them managed to squeeze through the tiny cracks in Life's ubiquitous "Oh, you've got plans?  Well, actually, you don't; go do this" moments?  Wink

-asp

- Aaron Copland
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: