Music By Jason
September 23, 2017, 01:23:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback on my newest tune please :)  (Read 26615 times)
Incognito

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2007, 09:52:57 AM »

I'm new to this forum and I joined to try and get some feedback on my newest tune which I made using the miroslav orchestral refills for reason and a vsl sample called Epic Horns.

I'm fairly pleased with it but I just wanted to get some other peoples views on it.
http://www.freewebs.com/mensesite/Index_files/page0001.htm

thanks for taking the time to listen to my tune.

Philzy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 02:40:33 AM »

I like your tune alot, congrats it's a great little tune.
I would be careful with your use of the Epic Horns, in parts you use it very well, but in the first section when the horns kick in they sound very strange because you seem to be using the modwheel to vigarously for the brass swells and that makes, to my ears sound very strange.

But all in all I like it

Chris Haigh
www.cphproductions.co.uk
www.myspace.com/chrishaighcomposer

Incognito

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 10:12:37 AM »

Thanks for the positive feedback
hmmm I'm not exactly sure what you mean about when the horns first come in though as I didn't use the mod wheel at all in the tune It could be just the mixture of the horns and the flutes producing strange effects, I'll try and tone down the flutes a bit and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again

dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 08:20:25 PM »

I can totally see what Chris is talking about--it sounds like you're using some kind of swell sample and it creates a very strange horn performance.

I'm curious, what are you trying to say with this work?  What do you see in your mind when you hear it?

The reason I ask is that you utilize a specific chord progression very heavily.  The danger in repeating yourself too often is that people will stop listening.  This is true in every day life when we talk with one another as it is with music.

Now, one kind of music that relies heavily upon repeating chord progression in the manner you employ them is dance music.  Dance music isn't meant to be listened to, it's meant to be heard and danced to--so what are your goals?  What are you trying to tell me through this piece?

I hear drama and the hint of a march, but there's no story--just progression.

Smiley

Noobalicious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 01:27:21 AM »

Hi there!  Your tune shows an impressive ability to reinvent a simple melody with many different interpretations, but I'm going to have to second dannthr's comment about the repetition.  What you have here is a sampler: it's as though you are saying "look how many different ways I can pronounce this sentence!  I can say it in my normal voice, I can say it with a growl, I can say it with a child's innocence, I can say it angrily, I can say it sorrowfully" etc.  But in the end it's still just a single sentence that doesn't reveal anything we didn't know before hearing it.

At any rate, your orchestration skills run circles around mine.  All you peeps on this forum are so talented!   Smiley

Edit: also, the first 15 seconds of the piece could benefit I think from a little more silence in the hesitation between phrases, if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 01:30:53 AM by Noobalicious » Logged
Incognito

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 04:47:14 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

In respects to what dannthr is saying: I didn't really base the tune on any specific story or for any particular setting I just wrote in the basic melody and then kept adding more to it as the tune went on. I realize not everyone likes repetition but through composing the tune I have heard it too much meaning I am too familiar with it as it is to change anything. Your comments however make me think it would be better if I added much more original material to the tune so I may try this in the future.

Also the horns are using a crescendo sample but I myself can see nothing wrong with them, maybe I'm just too used to them to see what you are talking about.

To Noobalicious: Perhaps you are right about the opening I am not very good at knowing when to use rests, thanks  Wink

Thanks for listening and commenting people Smiley

Tom Servo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 02:37:14 AM »

Hi Incognito,

My name's Jeff ... nice to meet you!  I listened to your tune.  You have some very cool ideas!!  Good job!  I'm not sure if this is the way you want to go with it, but it seems to be that this would make a killer fugue ... and I mean killer as in freaking amazing!  IF, however you can pull off some great counterpoint as the tune progresses.

I like the evolution of the cue a lot.  I like the different statements with the different instruments.  But from a form standpoint, I see what Dannthr is saying, and it does seem to go in circles ... but for me it was begging to have layers added to it.  Let the first two statements go just as you have them, but then every time we hear the statement again, add a layer doing something in counterpoint, or in canon (at the beat, or even the 8th note might be fun, or the half note) ... keep that layer and then add the third on the next go 'round.  That pizz bass line could be your first counterpoint line you add on the third statement of the theme ... then that flute with the long notes could be on the next go.  See what I'm saying?  It will build and create intrigue ... and then break it all down for the piano part halfway through... then build it back up.  For me, I think that would sound legit if you could pull it off.

You have a really nice theme, and I think it would lend itself perfectly to something like this.  Just a thought.  I would also have to agree with other posters here that your horns sound a bit unnatural.  Epic Horns is a pretty good library, so you should be able to get a more "live" sound than that .... but remember that most samples need to be played around with and tweaked for the situation they're in to sound their best.

Your mix is ok ... I would send the horns to the back of the room though ... they would probably be in the middle if not back row of the orchestra.  Dip them down in the mix and reverb them out to give the sense they are further away, but they still need to sound present ... so it's a little trial and error game ... play around with your fader level and reverb settings and see what you can achieve.  Same with the timpani ... if you were in the balcony listening to this at the Lincoln Center you wouldn't hear the timpani so close or present in the mix ... it would be there, and audible, but more in the back filling up the room and pushing lots of air as it cranks on those rolls.

Nice job!!  I like this tune, and I think your theme is well done.  Hope this helps .... if not ... then no worries.  Smiley  Ultimately it is your music and you will develop it in the best way for you.  If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

all the best,
jeff

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 10:56:21 AM by Tom Servo » Logged

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -Aldous Huxley
---------------------------
www.jeffkurtenacker.com
Incognito

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 02:48:29 PM »

Thanks very much Tom your feedback is much appreciated and I like your ideas and suggestions I will try to take them on board in my future music. I don't know very much about mixing and the like so that probably accounts for my mix not being very good all I basically did to this was add reverb and play with the volume levels to try and make some instruments more prominent than others. I'll try to make it sound more live in the future. Thanks again for commenting  Smiley

Incognito

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 06:32:08 PM »

Ok, I've tried to take on board everything people said about that last tune I wrote so here's my latest new tune. Its called Wild Hike and once again it can be found at my website: http://www.freewebs.com/mensesite/Index_files/page0001.htm
Its nothing like the last one, but I think I'm probably more pleased with the finished result. For this piece I used many different instruments including some excellent African percussion samples a good friend of mine gave me. I also used strings from the Miroslav orchestral library for Reason and quite a few ethnic instruments from a set called World Traveler. Hope you all like it and have constructive things to say about it .

MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 01:40:23 AM »

Hi Incognito,
I liked your new tune very much... As a Hans Zimmer fan, I'd say it's something between "Tears of the Sun" and "The Last Samurai". That of course means that it sounds very nice  Grin And I even notice your "old" theme form Epoch, so it really looks like those two cues are from the same movie, played in different moments and moods...

I can't say anything else, 'cause I'm an amateur Smiley But I liked it Smiley

Keep it up Smiley

Max

Music is the only art that does not merely copy ideas, but actually embodies the will itself.

Arthur Schopenhauer
AltaSilvaPuer

The Town Fool

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 09:37:53 AM »

Okay, first thing to hit me is the beginning.  I love this beginning, with that guitar-like instrument, (Is it a guitar?  I haven't figured out, yet) and the really airy feel, especially with that flute at 0:10.

:57-59 Strings come in nicely.  Its just kinda one second they're not there, the next they sound like the melody, and its hard to find out where the transition was.  I also like the slight variation on the melody that they do, and how it blends into a background at around 1:19ish.

I love the ending, as well.  The slow fading out of parts, back down to just light strings, the guitar, and what sounds like it might be an oboe buried in there.  It really kinda brings the piece full-circle, to the point where listening in my media player (which is on repeat by default) it blends right back into the beginning.

The whole time I can see pictures in my head of two people parting ways, one of them going on a...well...wild hike.  Up mountains, down valleys, across plains and rivers - everywhere.  And of course with all the obligatory movie flyover shots.  Wink  That ending, I see our traveler coming up on a ridge, forest all around, and looking down at a small cottage, thin trail of smoke coming from the chimney, as if that was his destination the whole time.

But then, I'm just crazy and see things like that.  Wink  Good music makes me hallucinate, heh.

-asp

"Inspiration may be a form of super-consciousness,
or perhaps of subconsciousness—I wouldn't know.
But I am sure it is the antithesis of self-consciousness."
- Aaron Copland
Incognito

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 10:20:15 AM »

Thats Great! Grin AltaSilvaPuer I got very similar images while listening to the piece hence the name. The guitar like instrument you refer to is in fact a Greek instrument called a Bouzouki. Thank you very much for this extremely positive feedback, it really makes writing music worthwhile for me.
Also thank you to Max, I too am an extreme Hans Zimmer fan and I would agree about the similarities between Tears of the Sun and Last Samurai both amazing scores which mine cannot hope to surpass. Quite strange you noticed the tune from Epoch though because I didn't mean to put it in there so I must have done it by accident.
Thanks again for the positive feedback guys  Smiley

MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 10:43:36 AM »

Well, I didn't really noticed the main melody, only the... damn I don't know the English word... *looking it up in the dictionary* ... the dictionary says its "chord"... I hope it's right  Wink So, not the melody, only the background sound kind of close to Epoch, that's what I meant to say Smiley

Music is the only art that does not merely copy ideas, but actually embodies the will itself.

Arthur Schopenhauer
Incognito

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 02:20:58 PM »

Ah fine now I see what you mean the chord sequence is kinda similar at some points  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:28:54 PM by Incognito » Logged

Tom Servo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 01:26:30 AM »

Good rewrite!!  I like the big drums!  Feels nice and boomy.  Good job building and breaking down!  The piece has a really nice arc to it.  Well done!!

-jeff

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -Aldous Huxley
---------------------------
www.jeffkurtenacker.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: