Music By Jason
January 21, 2018, 10:27:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback for a newbie please :-)  (Read 42964 times)
Steven
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 07:33:18 PM »

Hmm. I think I would personally use more sustain on the piano when it first comes in - the mood is somewhat 'fluttery' for lack of a better word, but then the notes seem to cut off abruptly, I suspect. Great sounds though, the strings at the beginning sound really good. What library are they, out of interest?

www.freewebs.com/filezupload
(see www.freewebs.com/filezupload3 for my latest work, for the Moonlight Path project)
MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 06:58:56 AM »

2 Steven: These strings are Garritan Personal Orchestra (the main violins are a violin section sample + a violin solo sample), the basses, cellos and violas are GPO as well, the strings at the beggining are EWQLSO Silver, as well as all the other instruments (Brass, woodwinds, percs)

As for the piano, I noticed something wrong with it, but couldn't tell what it was Smiley Now I see, thanks Smiley

By the way, what does "fluttery" mean? Smiley

2 Incognito: Well, it is a bit dense in sound, but I assure you, that THIS IS ONLY THE BEGGINING Smiley The epilogue is not even in a "piano-sketch" state, but I plan it to be something more like a fanfare. We'll see Smiley

Thanks for the feedback though - by the way, even amateurs can tell each other what they like and what they don't (that's what I like about this forum), and it is even better if they're supervised by a pro (that's what I love about this forum Wink )

Music is the only art that does not merely copy ideas, but actually embodies the will itself.

Arthur Schopenhauer
Steven
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 09:02:10 AM »

Oh, by 'fluttery' I simply meant, as in fluttering. Like, something fluttering in the wind - light, calm. It was the first word that came to mind at the time, sorry if it was misleading =)

www.freewebs.com/filezupload
(see www.freewebs.com/filezupload3 for my latest work, for the Moonlight Path project)
MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 12:00:23 PM »

No, no, it was not misleading, I just didn't understand it Smiley I'm not a native English speaker, so I have some problems with vocabulary sometimes Wink

Music is the only art that does not merely copy ideas, but actually embodies the will itself.

Arthur Schopenhauer
MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 08:04:36 AM »

Hello there

How are things with you? I've been a bit quiet recently, had a lot to do, but eventually I found some time to compose too. So here is my newest tune, it's quite sad. It's very close to songs like "Empty Houses" (Bioshock) or "The Dike" (The Witcher). I think of it as an ambient track... in an RPG or something, while walking through a plagued city, a ruined castle... or a field full of lavender flowers...

Give it a listen and let me know, as always, I'm looking forward to any and all suggestions  Smiley

The Lavender Field:

http://www.box.net/shared/dgtb1zikoc

- Max -

Arthur Schopenhauer
Tom Servo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 10:16:42 AM »

Hey Max,

Well, you already know that I like the way you write, and this is no exception.  I think it works great for what it is, and your harmonic changes with slight melodic hints make it very ambient and captures the vibe of what you're going for.

All that being said, again, we come back to comments on the production of the music.  I know you are using limited resources.... but some things that can really help you, especially in a piece like this, is using MIDI Controller 11 (or 7).  This cue needs some more fading in and out ... some slight swells and .... a little ebb and flow ... what I'm saying is that with all held chords you have (by strings or brass or whoever), they are just being triggered and they stay at that velocity and volume for the duration of the note.  If a real orchestra played this, you would most likely have them sneak in on the chord, then grow a little bit, and fade back out, as the next chord fades in.  Not TOO much, otherwise it would get too much up and down and give us musical seasickness.  But a little bit of natural swell on each of these long notes. People use controller 11 or controller 7 to accomplish this in MIDI.  I use controller 11 ... some people just draw in the volume controls in the audio file too, which is OK, although I think it's a little less natural.  If you're not sure what controller 11 or 7 are .... or where to find them or how to use them ... then let's get in touch and I can tell you about it... but I don't want to write about it if you already know what it is. 

Better sounds would help for sure, but a little bit of attention to making your MIDI more "live" goes a long way as well.

Max, or anyone else who wants to know, contact me with what program you're using to record your MIDI and we can get you using these controls that will help shape your music.

Well done!
-jeff

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -Aldous Huxley
---------------------------
www.jeffkurtenacker.com
MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 02:37:22 PM »

Hi Jeff

Thanx for your positive feedback. I sent you a private message (although I don't know if you recieved it)... If you'd like, we could communicate via e-mails, my mail is johny.scigulin@hotmail.com (yeah, that's kinda my real name  Cheesy ). Don't get me wrong, I'd contact you first, but I can't find your e-mail address anywhere around Smiley

Max

Arthur Schopenhauer
Piekartz

Professional

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 10:45:09 AM »

http://api.ning.com/files/YsTyeLVttoh0AVEcQmfN4wcytfo4BVVNm0TZWKMHJ7k_/TheStormOverEden.mp3
Needed for download. Wink
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:47:47 AM by Piekartz » Logged
MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »

Hi guys!
Wow, it feels like ages since I last posted here...
At first, my computer broke down and was being repaired for a whole month (all hail Acer Customer Service!!!) Then I had to study for exams and so on...

Well I'm back now with 3 new pieces ready to be evaluated by any of you Smiley

Well, here it is.

Not long ago, I found a very interesting movie called Tales of the Past - it's a movie completely done in WoW games. Anyway, I noticed that the soundtrack for this movie (and almost every other WoWarcraft movie) is a collection of Hans Zimmer, Immediate music and many other composers. Well, I decided, that I will try to compose some original themes for the film. Maybe, later on, I'll try to contact some of the WoWarcraft movie producers and try to get a composing gig... No harm in trying I guess...

Anyway... So here they are. The "Tales of the Past III" movie starts of with a huge battle scene and so my first theme is a battle track.
It's kinda short, but if I had to, I could make it into a bigger piece.

Legendary:
http://www.box.net/shared/qdhy65lofm

The second piece would fit into the very ending of the movie. For those of you who are not familiar with it, in the end, Arthas, turned back into a human, travels to Northrend to find his lost "Lich King" powers. And I couldn't think of any other music than J.Hayes's Arthas-Lich king theme. So I took Jason's theme and tried a new angle on the melody and this is the result.

Falling Again:
http://www.box.net/shared/hy6dqez9gb

The third (and last) piece is a theme that wasn't made directly for the movie, but could fit well into any scene that requires an ominous tone.

Morna Theme:
http://www.box.net/shared/zeskknuepi

As always, any feedback regarding these tracks is more than welcome, especially the critical feedback Smiley So, give it a listen and let me know what's good and what could be better.

Thanks

Max

Arthur Schopenhauer
dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »

Damn, boy!

Legendary is just fantastic.  Your samples are total crap, but the composition, from what I can tell, is ace!  I'd have to look at the sheet music to really evaluate if your string runs are reasonable, but from here, lots of good well thought out compositional ideas and very nice instrumental spread.

I am a bit traditional, though, as I like my Horns in F to be on my left, so, what I think are your horns, sounds like they're on your right?  But I'm willing to go with it since your violins add so much action to the left side.

Can you post the sheet music?  If you're not already using the celli and bass in stacs/spics to keep your march and double your bass drum, use them--actually I just changed my mind on my third listen.

I want to hear your Horns on the left.

Here's an idea for expansion:

Horns on the left--when the horns come in with the melody, the melody has been fairly well tread, so it's safe to add a dimension to it--consider a counter melody placed in the celli high register.  That would be real sweet!

Keep working on it, man, I want to hear this expanded and taken to the Nth level!

MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 03:52:02 AM »

Hi Dan!

Wow, thank's for your imput. I will continue woriking on it - I've already moved the horns to the other side and also couple other intruments... And I've started working on a counter melody, I will post a newer version shortly.

And yes, you're right, my samples are kind of weird, that's why I don't really like doing action-style music with them - they just sound wrong (or I don't know how to set them up correctly)... But since I don't have a real orchestra nearby ... Smiley

Posting the sheet music will be a problem since I only work in FL Studio and dont have Finale or anything like that... Will some screenshots be sufficient? Smiley

By the way, any thoughts on the other 2 tracks?

Max

Arthur Schopenhauer
MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 02:36:29 AM »

The recent activity on these forums pushed me to work a bit harder on my own music, so right now, I'm posting 2 tracks. The first one is for dannthr; you were wondering if my string runs were reasonable. I'll try to get you the sheet music (if I don't forget again), but until then, I uploaded the solo violin parts.

** Legendary - Solo Violin Runs **
http://www.box.net/shared/lxrv3so3ve

Anyway, the more important thing is that I finally finished another track; once again, it's an action piece. And once again, it is inspired by the movie "Tales of the Past III".

** Blazer Meets Mograine **
http://www.box.net/shared/j1n79fvhks

Anyway, as always, I'm waiting for any and all feedback you can think of. Let me know what is good and what could be better.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:35:10 PM by MaxLeonhart » Logged

Arthur Schopenhauer
dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 12:33:18 PM »

Man, honestly, you should really look at aiming for some better samples.

It should be a goal of yours.

And a machine to run those samples.

How old are you?

MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 03:01:46 PM »

Yeah, I'm sorry about the quality, but I can't get it any better at the moment...

Yes, it is my goal... buuuut, since I'm a student (and therefore I'm constantly low on money) the progress of saving money for rig&software is very slow... Sad

I'm 20 years old... I hope it's not too much

Arthur Schopenhauer
Asvarduil

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 06:56:19 PM »

Legendary...is legendary.  No, really.  I heard a mix of Halo and Jason Hayes' styles in there, which was something VERY special and awesome!

I have to agree with Dannthr - the strings sound a little bit unreal.  Some of those high string runs might not go off so smoothly in real life.  A rule I use is to try to keep my skips within one octave - it's actually one of the principles of voice leading, too.

I heard the F Horns, but I think the effect would be much improved if you backed everything off on their initial entrance and gave them a few measures to state their idea that the whole orchestra would then go on and epicify.

GREAT song...I just need time to listen to the others!

EDIT: Eeep.  Skips within an octave are good, but I also try to avoid skips beyond a perfect fifth.  I know beyond a 5th can be difficult on guitar (especially if you're near the top of the range of the key you're playing in...), and on Oboe beyond a fifth can be pretty painful as well.  I try not to think of Piccolo, much, and don't have to because the keys are so close together.  But still.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:02:18 AM by Asvarduil » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: