Music By Jason
October 23, 2018, 03:18:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Language in WoW songs?  (Read 16128 times)
Skandalos

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2008, 04:18:23 AM »

In some titles of the WoW soundtrack a chorus or a single voice sings in a (to me) mysterious language. (Stormwind, Legends, Song of Elune etc)

Is this an actual language or just phantasy syllabes just for the sake of sounding nice?

dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 07:52:36 AM »

I recently programmed some choirs for a big game composer and I had the liberty of writing the lyrics also--the focus of having a choir was to sound epic, to have that large human sound, and not really to sing a specific song.

What is important, however, is creating a lyric that makes people believe they are singing an actual song instead of just random syllables.  So song structure is still important to retain, absolutely, and because they're not real words, you can use sounds that compliment the music or note at the time.

I have listened to Jason's tracks, I believe that the words are fake words, but that he uses certain sound-a-like words to reference something as if in an older/ancient language (ie: Gloria).

Piekartz

Professional

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:27:02 PM »

Speaking of epic, are there any songs that sound epic with war drums and sort that u can recommend ? Cheesy
Skandalos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »

Just listened to "Lament of the highborne" on youtube. Apparently you can even find the "lyrics" of this song (in english) as an item in WOW.
Steven
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 04:14:13 PM »

It's worth noting that Russell Brower is the composer for WOW now, not Jason anymore sadly. However, I imagine he works with words/syllables in much the same way - sometimes latin-based derivatives, but not any actual language.

www.freewebs.com/filezupload
(see www.freewebs.com/filezupload3 for my latest work, for the Moonlight Path project)
dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 04:42:49 AM »

Yeah, Jason is at NCSoft's Carbine Studios.

sacrenouille

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:50:48 AM »

It's worth noting that Russell Brower is the composer for WOW now, not Jason anymore sadly. However, I imagine he works with words/syllables in much the same way - sometimes latin-based derivatives, but not any actual language.

Yes he does. There's an audio interview of him at the BlizzCon on the azeroth.fr podcast, episode #28 (end of episode, last 20 mins, interview in english)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: