Music By Jason
April 20, 2018, 12:44:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how is this music genre called?  (Read 9564 times)
Riplock

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2008, 07:21:12 AM »

this battle hymns with choirs and drums... omg this type of music is epic... it doesn't matter if it's vangelis with "conquest of paradise" , Mozart with "carmina burana" , or jason hayes with "Legends" or that Wrath of the lich king intro....this genre of music is the best... but can anyone tell me how's it called? 
MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 08:22:33 AM »

1) Carmina Burana is not Mozart. It was composed (I think) by Carl Orff.

2) Generally, Carmina Burana would be called "classical music", and music by Jason Hayes would be called "soundtracks"... I don't think there is a special name for this "genre"... maybe an "orchestral epic something... "  Wink

By the way, the "wrath of the lich king intro" is called "Arthas, my son" and it is on the WotLK soundtrack CD and it f****** RULEZ!   Cheesy (however, Jason Hayes' name isn't mentioned on this soundtrack, so I guess it's not really Jason's work... not entirely at least.

3) If you like this kind of music, try Hans Zimmer's Dark Knight OST, Jablonsky's Tranfsormers OST, John Debney's Lair OST or Gears of War 2 soundtrack (also by Jablonsky)... Especially the last one is surprisingly impressive...
And if you really like this stuff, try "Immediate Music"... (if you'd like, write me a PM and I'll send you a list of epic music from my collection Wink )
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:28:38 AM by MaxLeonhart » Logged

Music is the only art that does not merely copy ideas, but actually embodies the will itself.

Arthur Schopenhauer
Steven
Mod Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 08:47:41 AM »

2) Generally, Carmina Burana would be called "classical music", and music by Jason Hayes would be called "soundtracks"... I don't think there is a special name for this "genre"... maybe an "orchestral epic something... "  Wink

By the way, the "wrath of the lich king intro" is called "Arthas, my son" and it is on the WotLK soundtrack CD and it f****** RULEZ!   Cheesy (however, Jason Hayes' name isn't mentioned on this soundtrack, so I guess it's not really Jason's work... not entirely at least.

3) If you like this kind of music, try Hans Zimmer's Dark Knight OST, Jablonsky's Tranfsormers OST, John Debney's Lair OST or Gears of War 2 soundtrack (also by Jablonsky)... Especially the last one is surprisingly impressive...
And if you really like this stuff, try "Immediate Music"... (if you'd like, write me a PM and I'll send you a list of epic music from my collection Wink )

You're right with Carl Orff, however the Lich King opening cinematic music is by Russel Brower (took over from Jason Hayes, who has left Blizzard, after the first edition of WOW) The piece does use one of Jason's themes though. But yes, I've often wondered if there's a name for this sort of music as it is by far my favourite type. There doesn't really seem to be, though. 'Epic' does indeed seem to be the only used name for it.

www.freewebs.com/filezupload
(see www.freewebs.com/filezupload3 for my latest work, for the Moonlight Path project)
Piekartz

Professional

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 08:39:18 AM »

Me me me ! Cheesy
sacrenouille

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:58:25 AM »

There is a name in the media industry for this kind of music. They are call, quite simple "Trailer music". People like Nick Phoenix or BT for instance produces a lot of fast paced/ epic/ tragic 2min long music (such a the wow cinematics (Wow/BC/Wotlk)).

They are used in the cinema industry by people who create movie trailers. The composers compose & propose CDs with something like 20-30 music and sell them to producers (they are not for sell to public like us).

I, for one, like them but don't enjoy this too much. It's often music that goes far too quickly into business, it's not like listening to a whole full length soundtrack CD that takes you on a 1h+ journey. There, you have 2 min, so that 30sec of calm, 45sec of tension, 40 seconds of epic/battle and then 5 sec of final rest. And this is like this almost for every movie trailer music. It's like making love too quickly, the final act is the same but you just don't enjoy it the same way Smiley

Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »

however the Lich King opening cinematic music is by Russel Brower (took over from Jason Hayes, who has left Blizzard, after the first edition of WOW) The piece does use one of Jason's themes though. But yes, I've often wondered if there's a name for this sort of music as it is by far my favourite type. There doesn't really seem to be, though. 'Epic' does indeed seem to be the only used name for it.

Actually it's not. The opening cinematic music is written by Neal Acree, who also wrote the music for the opening video of Burning Crusade.

http://www.nealacree.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: