Music By Jason
September 21, 2017, 07:06:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New composition by me, suggestions?  (Read 42471 times)
NightShader

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2005, 08:04:08 PM »

Hey everyone,

It's my first time on this forum, and like it already. Smiley
Jason's music has always been very inspiring to me, and I listen to it almost every day. (Especially when I don't have any inspiration... it helps a lot)

I'm a starting composer too, and just made a new composition last week.
It has been inspired by Jason's music. Smiley (that's why I post it here)

This is the link:
http://www.liquidgamestudios.com/music/Imperial_Guards_-_Conquer.mp3

Please tell me if you'll like it, and what you don't like...
And if Jason himself listens to it, (which would be very honourable), you might give me and others some professional advise, if you like. Smiley

iquid GameStudios (www.liquidgamestudios.com)
Pascal van Stekelenburg
Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 02:03:23 AM »

Heya NightShader !

I really liked your music bud, very very intresting indeed! Especially that song Imperial Guards: Conquer! It started with a tune of mystery. Reminds of me odf Shrerlock Holmes movies somehow. lol

Why don't you use the support of choirs within your songs mate? It makes it even better! Now that use Jason's music as an inspiration, it could be nice if you follow some of his well deserved ideas, if you don't mind me saying so.  :roll:   :wink:
Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 02:12:04 AM »

Sure what I meant of that is real choirs not sample choir mate. Real choirs made a different feelings to listeners than sample.  Smiley
NightShader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 06:58:55 AM »

I would really love to use real choirs, but I don't have the money, nor possibility to do so.

A few years ago, I even asked a youth orchestra to perform some of my compositions... but I never heard from them again.

I'm still studying for game-programming and media-composition, so I think I'll have to keep using voice-samples until I find a way to use real ensembles... Sad

Thanks for your support. Smiley

Pascal van Stekelenburg
Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 07:12:22 AM »

Yeah, I know what you mean of that.

Anyway, I guess you can use the same trick that was used by Jason in A Call To Arms in your works. Just imagine, he made a choir out of a person's voice. Very, very impressive! I don't think that using this way could done your work any harm, you know.

Good luck on the furture works bro!
Jonathan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 02:35:46 PM »

Did sound ok to me =) No need to work on that choir I think, but that's mho.

Keep working on it!

Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 02:54:46 PM »

Of course it is Jonathan! I just asked that as an idea for NightShader's future works. I guess that choirs are becoming a golden key to success as I haven't found any choir-based song that hasn't become popular!

Take it as a good word man!
Jonathan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 03:15:20 PM »

Hehe yeah I agree, choirs are an easy way to make stuff sound more epic. I really love the Symphony of Voices discs (see other topic in the composing hub) a lot. But nothing can beat the real think of course Wink

NightShader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 05:20:32 PM »

Well, at least I could try using a lot of sampled choirs in my next composition.

If you put a lot of time into editting the sound of it, it can be very accurate to the real thing...

Shall I post the new composition here when it's finished? (Hope Jason doesn't mind it...  :wink: )

Pascal van Stekelenburg
Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 12:16:35 AM »

I hope that you can send them here mate. Your music is brilliant and I'm looking forward to hear more from it soon. At least let us know when the new music is ready, ok?  Smiley
NightShader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 01:29:53 AM »

I will... Cheesy

Pascal van Stekelenburg
flibuste

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 02:48:17 PM »

Quote from: "NightShader"
Hey everyone,

I'm a starting composer too, and just made a new composition last week.
It has been inspired by Jason's music. Smiley (that's why I post it here)

This is the link:
www.liquidgamestudios.com/music/Imperial%20Guards%20-%20Conquer.mp3

Allow me this constructive critic:
(but first, excuse my poor english. It's not my first language)

First I like it. As I like Jason's musical tracks.
 The sound quality is good, the mix could be worked out a bit more (mostly the panning) but overall, this sounds very good.

Now, at first hearing, the score sounds a lot like Jason's compositions but I guess that is the genre plus your inspiration that produces this effect.

The introduction sounds like...I'm in twilight zone or something! it's very moody and nice. However, a bit too..."usual". Maybe finding alternative instruments would add to the climax of what's coming next.

I have found that you could enrich the piano arpegios after the first orchestral hit (I don't have the timing...sorry) when the strings kick in and  follow the piano. You could keep the "arpege" on the strings and double it on the piano by enriching the piano score (like going through 2 octaves instead of one, our doubling the notes - I know I'm not making myself clear, but..hey..it's music!), while the main strings carry on the theme.

Very nice usage of choirs and brass afterward for topping the climax, nothing to say about this...

The ending could use a bit more workout, in order to not sound like you simply decided the music needed to be over after a while. As it is now, it is a bit abrupt. Maybe introduce a flute or a wooden pipe or oboes to go down from climax and add some "smoothness" to the end. Well..I say this because I love oboes..

But on the overall, I'd just wish I'd be that good in making music!
Anonymous
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 02:46:16 AM »

Fil, I had to respond because your post was a bit overdone.

Please don't take offense to this, but NightShader's music is HIS music, and any critique you offer would subtract his art from itself. In a collaboration those ideas may be well recieved, but composers don't usually want to hear such detailed analyses in the 'Well, i'd do THIS different' vain. It doesn't make compsers feel adequate.

Just be wary when you are speaking to other composers and offering criticisms.
NightShader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 05:01:20 PM »

It's ok though... I'm used to it.

I just like hearing the things that have gone right, so that I could use those idea's again... the ones that aren't noticed could be tried again, and the ones that are being disliked, can be removed... Smiley

Working currently on background music for an action scene in a movie...

Pascal van Stekelenburg
flibuste

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 03:37:04 PM »

Quote from: "Adam"
Fil, I had to respond because your post was a bit overdone.

Please don't take offense to this, but NightShader's music is HIS music, and any critique you offer would subtract his art from itself. In a collaboration those ideas may be well recieved, but composers don't usually want to hear such detailed analyses in the 'Well, i'd do THIS different' vain. It doesn't make compsers feel adequate.

Just be wary when you are speaking to other composers and offering criticisms.

Pheww...I was not intending to be "overdoing" or saying "I would do it differently".  Please do not get me wrong.

I am so used of tweaking my music using advices from my surrounding (familiy of musicians, composers or conductor friends...) that I could not even think that would offense anyone.

I feel equally inadequate when people tell me "Oh! it's great!" without other comments. It was supposed to be more than "great"...they were supposed to "feel" something...and I cannot obviously get it right, right away. So if it's just "great" I would like to know what's not working...

However, I am a bit surprised at your comment. It sounds a bit like "ok, it's HIS music, just listen and that's it - 'We' composers are a special kind". That sounds like a programmer who's having his code reviewed..."It works! Why do you have to have a look at it?".  I happen to be both so I know what it can feel like, and I know it's generally not the best reaction.

Sorry if I offended anyone but I belong to those people who think that providing/receiving critics can only make things better.

Apparently I'm wrong so I'll shut up ;-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: