Music By Jason
December 08, 2019, 12:43:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I going about this the wrong way?  (Read 21671 times)
Goliath

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2005, 07:01:16 PM »

Quote from: "Melda"
Lessons with my composition teacher are more used for 'guidance', and directing me to measures of thought that I may have not considered before, and recommending that I listen to certain musics which may expand my musical sound world -- usually relevant to whatever music I am planning to work on next.

Yes, but you see, I do not have a composition teacher...I only play one instrument in the top band of my school, and I'm trying to be as musically involved as I can, because I figure that the more music I hear, the more tricks I can pick up to use in my own work.  I do not play the piano, because the only piano we have is old and broken and I can't afford lessons.  (I want to learn the piano so very badly though! Sad )  I'm only a sophomore in high school yet there are so many things I want to do with composing later in my life.  The compositions I do now...I don't even know where or how I come up with them  :wink: but I try to use the skills I've learned since I first started playing.  You say it's unteachable, but somehow I think there is a lot more I need to learn before I can really start composing real music.   So for now, I'm just trying out and seeing what methods work for me and what doesn't.

Thanks for all the info guys  Smiley

rink up me 'earties yo-ho!
Anonymous
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2005, 08:06:38 PM »

Yes, Goliath, as a high-school student you need to be listening to lots of music in order to make your own opinions on what you like and don't like. Then, in college, you'll be able to do some of the things that Groove suggested. Composition CAN'T be taught! Ask ANY comp student, and they'll agree (mostly!). The things you're 'missing' you'll get in college...harmony, form, analysis, exposure, opinions...they all come later. Now, just listen and write whatever you can. Process comes later.
Melda
Mod Composer
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005, 08:15:07 PM »

Agreed. Otherwise you're in danger of becoming institutionalised, and becoming a compositional machine, rather than a composer.

At your stage it's probably best to just feel your way around, instead of thinking. "Feel, don't think". Once you've felt around a bit, then you can start trying to refine your skills, but it is important to play around a bit first. Try everything. And have fun with it.

Goliath

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005, 05:43:24 PM »

Smiley  Thanks guys.  I shall do that.

rink up me 'earties yo-ho!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: