Music By Jason
June 24, 2018, 04:48:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: quick music question  (Read 18272 times)
mysticmage

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2009, 07:43:22 PM »

Hi everybody i'm not very familiar with this type of music but I really like it, and I was wondering what this one instrument I heard was; it sounds beautiful.

here's the URL to the song; "legends of Azeroth" from the WoW soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsazZUbt9s&feature=related

The part where I hear the instrument starts at 0:51 and ends at 1:28

dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:15:17 PM »

At 0:51, I hear STRINGS, a HARP, a CLARINET, I hear HORNS punctuated by BRASS staccatos.  Can you be more specific?

AltaSilvaPuer

The Town Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 08:36:27 AM »

I'm going to hazard a guess he means the Strings, but it could also be the Harp/Clarinet pairing.

"Inspiration may be a form of super-consciousness,
or perhaps of subconsciousness—I wouldn't know.
But I am sure it is the antithesis of self-consciousness."
- Aaron Copland
mysticmage

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 07:00:35 PM »

its the highest pitched instrument in that time frame and is the the loudest at 1:27.
dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:15:01 PM »

The highest pitched instrument between 0:51 and 1:28 are the Horns and Clarinets (or possibly the Harp) as they perform a call and answer of the counter melody, they don't stay at a high pitch for long sustained notes though.

Are you certain you know what pitch is?

The loudest instrument at 1:27 is the strings.  I believe they're violas that take the main melody there.  It's hard to tell, though, these are samples, not actual instruments.

Since you seem unfamiliar with the orchestral instruments, here are some examples:

The Harp

The Harp is a plucked instrument.  It's often used for magical textures.

The Clarinet

The clarinet is a woodwind, in this video it is the featured solo instrument.

The Horn (or Horn in F)

The Horn is a brass instrument that has a soft woodwind quality at lower volume levels and a bold, noble quality at louder levels.

The Viola Section of the Orchestral Strings

The Viola section usually sits in the middle of the orchestral strings, directly in front of the conductor.  The violas are often considered the ugly sisters to the violins and are rarely given strong melodic lines in modern music.  However, they have a slightly lower pitch than the violin and a slightly thicker timbre making them great for giving middle or bottom to violin lines.  However, the Viola also has a very sultry quality that can be used to great effect in the hands of a capable writer.  The violas start out the ostinato figure in the John Williams video.

Here is an orchestra layout:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:41:17 PM by dannthr » Logged

mysticmage

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 01:07:44 PM »

thanks for all the help, I think it's either the horn or clarinet, its definitely not plucked and I don't think the sound was produced by the viola.

EDIT: actually now that I did some research, it sounds kinda like an Oboe, is there even one in there? I'm probably wrong but just a guess.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 01:21:46 PM by mysticmage » Logged
dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 11:09:39 PM »

Nope, don't hear an oboe during those sections.  And I'm listening on the original OST CD.

AltaSilvaPuer

The Town Fool

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 02:32:21 PM »

I play oboe, and I don't hear anything resembling an oboe at or before 1:28.
If there's an oboe anywhere in there, it's playing extremely subdued parts that are blending into the overall mix underneath the strings, which is far from a typical use of an oboe - especially in movie and game scores, from what I've heard of them.

-asp

- Aaron Copland
dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 07:40:21 PM »

I don't even hear the hint of an oboe blended in those strings.  Jason or a music programmer would've had to program oboe samples with an envelope resembling the string section then mix the oboe so small and distant for reasons that could never be reasonable--it's far fetched to even suggest an oboe is present during those parts.

AltaSilvaPuer

The Town Fool

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 10:38:46 PM »

Agreed.  That's what I was saying (or attempting to, anyway).  Somewhere along the way, part of that post failed to travel from my head to my fingers and to the page.  Wink

To better phrase what I was thinking: the oboe's not an instrument easily hidden; the only place I heard that could even pull it off was the aforementioned portion of heavy strings, and there'd be no point in putting an oboe there just to hide it (aside from use as an Easter Egg-esque gimmick; even more unlikely), so I highly doubt there's an oboe sample hiding anywhere in there.  Or well, at least anywhere before about 1:30 or so, because that's where I stopped actively listening most times.

-asp

- Aaron Copland
dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 11:06:44 PM »

At 1:30 a double reed instrument joins in briefly until about 1:35.  It doesn't sound like an oboe to me, it sounds like an english horn or a mid/high bassoon, but with samples and processing, it could be difficult to say. (Maybe VSL's Oboe D'Amour--definitely darker than the general timbre of an oboe.)

Time index is based on the original OST track from the CD

Outside of that particular moment and the possibility that it could be hiding in a woodwind choir during the swells later on in the track, I actually can't hear an oboe.

AltaSilvaPuer

The Town Fool

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 09:26:58 PM »

Yeah, I caught that, too, but didn't take the time to figure out what it was as it was well after the cut-off.

The instrument at 1:35 is not in the bassoon family, I don't think.  It doesn't sound like a cylindrically bored instrument.  More likely an oboe-type to me.  If it's an oboe-like instrument, it probably is more likely an Oboe d'Amore, rather than an English Horn or Oboe.  I haven't worked enough with samples to be sure, though, and these aren't exactly the most realistic samples.

Although, listening to it again, I can hear the case for a really high Bassoon, but it doesn't sound strained/thin enough to me.  Again, though, these are not very realistic samples.

Then again, all that said, I haven't really had the time to take a really close listen to this in a couple days.

-asp

- Aaron Copland
dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:51 PM »

It's definitely a case for a double-reed instrument, but none appears in the sections the OP was talking about.

mysticmage

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »

k so I know it's not an Oboe. I don't know really how to explain it other than the loudest and most apparent sound in from 0:50 through 1:28.Like I said I don't have a music background so I cant really listen for the different types of instruments.

also right at 1:28 the instrument gets really loud before stopping
dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »

That's a string section.

The violas have a harsher and slightly nasal sound sometimes, especially at louder volumes.

They're rarely used for melodic sections and I had a hard time finding a youtube video that featured the section.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: