Music By Jason
February 24, 2018, 01:49:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jason Leaves Blizzard!  (Read 14657 times)
Jonathan

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2005, 02:16:15 PM »

Composer Jason Hayes recently announced he has left Blizzard Entertainment
              to pursue a freelance career. A multiple award-winning composer,
              Jason Hayes is best known for his music in all of Blizzard's games
              set in the popular worlds of StarCraft, Diablo and WarCraft. Most
              recently, he was the lead composer on World of WarCraft. Among other
              contributions, his specialty has been to write the musical score
              for the widely acclaimed animated short movies produced by the Blizzard
              Film Department. In this context, he's won the Game Audio Network
              Guild (G.A.N.G.) award for “Best Cinematic / Cut-scene Audio” two
              years in a row.

Speaking to M4G he said, "I continue to be great friends with all
              the guys at Blizzard and hope to write music for them on future
              games, but now just feels like the right time for me to go out on
              my own, spread my wings a little, and try and get involved with
              different types of projects. In addition to staying very active
              doing music for games, I plan to start taking on film projects as
              well."

He continued, "Among other things, I'm very excited about starting
              work on a personal album of original music compositions! I've got
              plans to involve visitors to my site http://www.musicbyjason.com
              in a special way that I think will be interesting."

Looks like Jason has left the blizzard building in order to start his own productions. I must say, personally, I really encourage that idea since I expect you to be into film business soon Jason! I really can't wait for your upcoming solo album =)

Thought I'd share this here

Source:

http://www.music4games.net/n_blizzard_jasonhayes_goes_independent.html

Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 02:50:42 PM »

Ouch... That's terrible! Thought Jason said something like he's no longer a full-time employee at Blizzard. Not good...

I agree though, would be nice to see Jason composing for movies! Perhaps the time has come for someone else to take over the sound in Hollywood. Media Ventures has been there too long... Tongue
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:05:10 PM by Sylvos » Logged
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 03:13:46 PM »

Hehe I loved MV, since I'm a huge Zimmer fan. But zimmer left Venture's more than 6 months ago now. It is officially dead already. Hopefully that'll get us some new good composers in the industry. Michael Giachinno is a good example. Same goes for Jason and I'm still hoping for Frank Klepacki (www.frankklepacki.com) to hit that business as well. He's working on the new starwars RTS game atm! He's a close friend of mine and I'd love to see him there someday Smiley
Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 12:15:04 AM »

I actually like Hans Zimmer's works too but then it's everywhere, in everything. Fresh wouldn't hurt. Besides, Jason can easily beat him if he's given the opportunities. I mean, when you look at what Jason's delivered in the very early days of his career compared to those of Zimmer... well, I'd say he started out with a bang!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:08:07 PM by Sylvos » Logged
Simon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 08:22:04 AM »

Nah Jason's style is not the MV style. MV uses the synth way more. MV is ok... but they recycle melodies a lot, there is a striking resemblance between Gladiator, Pirates of the Carribean and The Rock. Sometimes I find myself humming one then going into another without noticing.

Anyways, he left hmm? Who in their right mind leaves Blizzard!? Wink

Simon
Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 10:51:56 AM »

Sure! What I meant actually was that Jason's style can get him up there. All he needs is some good projects to begin with. Not that he's gonna be something like an MV-type composer.

On another note, regarding Media Ventures and recycling melodies, my personal theory here is that they seem to be taking loads anbd loads of projects simultaneously so there is ought to be some kind of Diminishing Returns effect!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:13:03 PM by Sylvos » Logged
Simon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 05:34:46 AM »

Ah ok Smiley

Simon
Jonathan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 04:36:15 PM »

that guest btw was me, forgot to login Tongue

Jonathan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 04:37:10 PM »

MV is dead. All composers have left to start their own career. I can't wait to hear more of Harry Gregson's work. He is amazing. But off topic...

I wish jason all the best =)

Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 01:04:06 AM »

mmm. Apparently. Guess they will remain and known as Media Ventures composers forever the way I see it. I wouldn't be surprised if they carry with them some of the old-school sound too, given the number of years they spent there. as a name. As they've been in a same place for quite a long time, thier styles somehow sound like each other. So it might be no more M

I agree about Harry Gregson-Williams. Should be interesting to see what he's gonna come up with if he's the one behind such projects as Kingdom of Heaven and Sinbad.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:15:24 PM by Sylvos » Logged
Jonathan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 05:11:09 AM »

I like most of them but Trevor Rabin and Klaus Badelt are the weakest. Harry GW is in my opinion the best MV offspring. And Zimmer, of course, is even better, since it was (partly) his studio Tongue
I think John powell is also doing very good. His Bourne Supremacy score was amazing, so was the theme to the new 'Italian Job'.

Sylvos

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 12:23:01 PM »

Not sure what to say about Trevor Rabin as I'm not too familiar with his works but Klaus Badelt, I guess he's just not taking the right projects. Time Machine was a solo-effort of his and to call that score a gem would be an understatement if you ask me. I'm sure there is more to him than meets the eye.

Pirates of the Caribbean was a nice ride. I would agree that there is not much to it (musically) but to me this recycled thing worked far better for its purpose than certain other works which, although sound amazing on their own, are too loud and... well... LOUD for the movie they're written for.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:22:27 PM by Sylvos » Logged
Jonathan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 04:53:29 PM »

hehe. Yeah well I also don't think Pirates is a strong score. The music is nice to listen too, but really bold. There are only a few tracks that really stand out (walk the plank amongst others). If you listen a lot to Zimmer's work you could easily say Badelt combined all of them. Drop Zone, The Rock, The Peacemaker, Crimson Tide, Broken Arrow and yet a few more. I can't really appreciate Badelt's work ont hat one.

You should get Sinbad from HGW, I think it's one of his best.

About zimmer: it's too bad that his most recent works had the same flow. Now that he's on his own again I'm hoping for more and new stuff. Black Hawk Down was a very nice change in the MV history and same goes for Gladiator. Of what I heard, the thunderbirds soundtrack did sound quite fresh to me as well. Too bad it isn't for sale here :/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: