Music By Jason
August 20, 2018, 10:02:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recording  (Read 7677 times)
northmusic

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »

Happy New Year!

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on what everyone is using to record their music.  I'm already setup from a composition standpoint, but have been going to a studio to record, master, and create master CD's.  I'd really like to start doing this on my own.

Right now, I'm running a SoundBlaster Audigy card to the mixing board.  Would a standard CD burner be the way to go from the mixing board, or a multi track HD recorder with CD, etc...?

Thanks in advance!

Steve
northmusic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »

Um...anyone?........anyone?.......Bueller? Smiley hehe
Eddie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »

I don't think anyone around here is doing live recordings....

Tom Servo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:44:56 PM »

Hey Steve... not sure if you mean live recordings or just what software/hardware we are using to mix and master our midi mockups and computer sessions, but I'll give you (for whatever it's worth) what I use in both situations. Also, I'm a Mac user... so all of this is on a Mac Pro dual-core with 12 GB of memory.

LIVE:
I used to do quit a bit of live tracking in my home studio, but lately I have been using incredibly talented musicians all around the world that have their own recording setups - I ftp them the tracks and info, they record their parts, and ftp it back where I mix it in. But this is just sort of sweetening to the MIDI session ... using a live violin, trumpet, cello, etc, to bring a section to life a little bit. But when I do record, I use BLUE microphones (I own a Dragonfly, Baby Bottle, and an 8-Ball), Mogami cables, into my audio interface which is an RME Fireface 800, and JBL monitors and subwoofer.

MIDI:
I use the same audio interface, the RME Fireface 800, and same monitors for midi... I used to use Digital Performer, but am now a Logic user. I use Logic in connection with Plogue Bidule to host all my virtual instruments. I mix in Logic, and use BIAS Peak Pro as my 2-track mastering program.

I don't have an external hardware mixing board, and I just use the CD-burner in the Mac Pro. If you are just saying that you have a WAV or AIFF file and want to make a master CD from it... then yes I would just use the burner in your computer. I have done that, and then sent it off to be mass-produced at like DiscMakers or something.

This may have been WAY overkill... but hopefully somewhere in there is an answer to your question!

Best,
jeff

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -Aldous Huxley
---------------------------
www.jeffkurtenacker.com
northmusic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:44:39 AM »

Jeff,

Thanks so much for the info...it was very helpful.

I'm currently on a PC right now, but hope to move to a Mac again eventually (they're just too much money at this point). Smiley

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: