Music By Jason
October 23, 2018, 06:06:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking advice regarding EWQL libraries  (Read 17721 times)
simonlife

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:42:06 PM »

Hi all, my first post here.  I'm a beginning composer (horn player and pianist by training) and am starting to familiarize myself with some of the common composition tools.  I am looking at the EWQL symphonic sound sets and have a few questions about them.

I wanted to know what people's thoughts are on the different packages of EWQL: silver, gold, platinum, complete composers collection.  I am wondering for example, what the expressive capabilities of the silver edition are (versus gold, since I am a newbie at this), or if maybe I should just shell out for something more comprehensive so I'm not limited in the future.

Although I am quite new to all of this, I'm confident the kind of sound I want to produce is that of a large, Romantic symphony orchestra.  As a result, I was hoping for a full range of brass/wind articulations, percussion, string textures, etc.  Does anyone have experience with the lower-end SKUs of EWQL or know where my money is best spent?  I feel like I may have answered my own question here, but I wanted to get some advice. =)

For now, I am composing on a modest 2008 Macbook Pro with Sibelius 6.

Thanks in advance!
Alex
MaxLeonhart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:51:36 AM »

Hey man!
Welcome to the forum.
First of all, let me just say that I'm just another beginner, like you, so my advice isn't really the best one you can get around here. That said, I have been working with EWQL for some months now, so I guess it won't hurt to answer your quesntion Smiley

Ok, so - I have tried both silver and gold and I can say that if you're serious about composing, go for the gold version. It has more instruments and can produce much better sounds. Go check the samples at www.soundsonline.com or give a listen to my topic around here somewhere. Anyway, I heard platinum version is even better, but alas, I don't have first hand experience with it...

As for the second part of the question - if I were you, I'd skip the EWQL SO Silver and go straight for the Gold version, since later on, you'd have to move to gold/platinum anyway, so I'd say it is best to get the gold version right away. The only down side to gold is that it doesn't have any choir samples... Plus, Stormdrum is a very good pack of sounds, if you're planning to do some action stuff.

I hope my reply helped at least a little and we soon hear some great music from you!

Max

Music is the only art that does not merely copy ideas, but actually embodies the will itself.

Arthur Schopenhauer
Eddie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 02:20:08 PM »

It seems like Gold is plenty to keep you busy for a while.  I believe you can always just pay to upgrade later, too.  So it's not like you have to rebuy the upgrade at full price.  Nice because no risk!

simonlife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 02:29:20 PM »

Thanks all, for the advice, and the warm welcome!  I'll probably go with Gold to get my feet wet.

I'm wondering though, since I've never used any software quite like this; how does something like EWQLSO integrate with composition software like Sibelius?  That is, assuming I have a composition written, and I'm ready to mix it, how does one choose all the articulations, voices, dynamics, etc.?  What does this workflow look like?  I'm not looking for a detailed explanation; I'm just looking for a high-level, general idea of how the end-to-end composition/mixing process goes for someone using these tools.  When I install something like EWQLSO, what exactly am I installing aside from a library of high-quality instrument sounds?

Feel like I should know all of this before I drop the big $$$'s.  =)

Thanks again!
Alex
dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 03:34:47 PM »

Let me ask you a question in response:

Are you interested in composing or producing?

For example, as a freelance composer, I compose but am also expected to produce the final track for use in game.  This means that I have to go beyond the score and look at the technical manipulation of the samples/articulations to create a more realistic performance.

This requires me to use something strong in MIDI sequencing and not simply notation based composition.  So instead of Sibelius or Finale, I use SONAR (similar tools are Cubase, Logic, Protools, FL Studio, etc) so I can more realistically combine and manipulate articulations to create realistic performances, render those to audio, and mix and master those into a final product.

If, however, you're just writing for live orchestra, you already have a live orchestra waiting for your piece, and you don't have to deal with the production past arranging, then by all means, just keep using Sibelius.  You'll create a mock-up that's "good enough" to understand the piece without needing it to end up as a final work for presentation to the public.

simonlife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 04:53:47 PM »

Thanks for the input, dannthr; this is exactly the kind of cautionary insight I was looking for.

For now, I am more interested in composing.  I understand that the mixing/mastering process beyond composing/arranging is a whole different ballgame, and I don't think I'll venture that far yet.

Unfortunately, while my ultimate goal is to write for the symphony orchestra, I don't have a live one available to me at the moment.  Therefore, my decision to invest in something like EWQLSO would be with the intent to not only create presentable (or at least passable) audio samples of my work, but to also help me experiment with and explore orchestration as a learning experience.

I realize there are no substitutes for formal training and real, quality time with live musicians; I'm just looking for all the exposure and exercise I can get.

So does it seem like EWQLSO still fits the bill?

Thanks again!
Alex
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:39:30 PM by simonlife » Logged
dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 05:59:17 PM »

East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold is a GREAT full featured starters package.

By all means get it, but if you want to get work composing for games, TV, or independent films, this will only be your first library.

Here's a list of all the libraries I can think of that I have currently and I am always looking at adding to it:

EastWest QuantumLeap Symphonic Orchestra Gold XP
EastWest QuantumLeap Symphonic Choirs
QuantumLeap Ra
QuantumLeap StormDrum
QuantumLeap Ministry of Rock
Project SAM Horns
Project SAM Trombones
Project SAM Trumpets
Project SAM Solo Sessions
Westgate Studios Flutes Module
Westgate Studios Oboes Module
Westgate Studios Clarinets Module
Westgate Studios Bassoons Module
Westgate Studios Horns Module
Prominy Les Paul Clean
DISTORTED
Scarbee Black Bass
9Volt Audio TAIKO
Some old VSL and some that I can't think of off the top of my head, also
various custom libraries and private libraries including anything from production effects to brass instruments that I have collected or created myself.

Eddie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:18:35 PM »

please never leave this board dannthr!

simonlife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 12:20:17 AM »

please never leave this board dannthr!

What he said!  Thanks very much; your advice was invaluable. =)  I'll let you know of my progress.
Tom Servo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 07:49:24 PM »

Hmmm... can you call EWQLSO samples from Sibelius? I'm a Finale user... so I'm not sure if Sibelius allows for VST plugins or not... anyone know?

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -Aldous Huxley
---------------------------
www.jeffkurtenacker.com
simonlife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 08:48:19 PM »

Yes, you can, though there's a little configuration that needs to be done with a 3rd-party sound set to get Sibelius to use PLAY:

http://sites.google.com/site/jonathanloving/symphonicorchestraplay

But as Dannthr pointed out, you probably won't have as much control as you would like if you use Sibelius or Finale as your effective sequencer.  The articulations won't be quite right in all places, etc.
Tom Servo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 02:38:52 PM »

Yeah, definitely... Dannthr is right... you don't want to be using notation programs as sequencers.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -Aldous Huxley
---------------------------
www.jeffkurtenacker.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: