Music By Jason
August 20, 2018, 10:01:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Automatic registration has been disabled due to the prevalence of clever spambots. To register please email your preferred username to: david at melda dot com dot au

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to write music on command?  (Read 6229 times)
Bagelz

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2010, 12:40:33 PM »

Here is an open question for everyone, i am really interested in your thoughts.

My question is, what is the secret to being able to write music on command??

Something I've noticed personally is that when i sit down and try to write a song, or I say to myself, "I'm gonna write something that sounds like this, or is such-and-such genre", it usually never works out. The very best song ideas I have only seem to come to me when I am doing something completely unrelated, and not thinking about music at all. They will just pop into my head as if on their own whim and I have no control over it!

But then there are always those people who if you locked them in a room, they would be able to pump out music all day long, non-stop, like they can just sit down and write endlessly it seems like. I've always wanted to be able to do this but never have been able to. So my question for you all is how you can do it, write whenever you want, what state of mind you have to be in, etc

thanks!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:53:22 PM by Bagelz » Logged
dannthr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:52:14 AM »

In my completely honest opinion I believe this to be one of the most distinguishing features of the professional composer versus the amateur composer.

And when all your inspiration is gone and you're banging your head against the keyboard in hopes that something comes out of it because you have a deadline and minutes left are piling up and all of your life's stressors start coming down on you at once--sometimes you just hope it doesn't sound like total ass.

The idea is that a professional has built up his/her craft to the point of being able to dive into a tool-box, so to speak, to make up for the lack of inspiration.

That said, the most creative mind is playful and rested, bottom line.

Anyone who says they work great under pressure of deadline is lying--what they mean to say is that they only complete stuff when they're obliged to a deadline.  Nonetheless, if you're interested in composing professionally, this is a skill you will need to develop, and believe me, it's not like... it will just come to you.  Everyone gets frustrated with what they've written from time to time and everyone wants to tear their music up and burn it and hope that whatever divine muse the universe holds in store will look kindly upon you and pity you.

Sometimes you just do your best and hope it's good enough.

tencircles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:39:00 AM »

One of the best exercises for this I can recommend for this is to sit down and give yourself 20 minutes to write something. Don't pay any attention to if it's bad or good or brilliant, just finish something in 20 minutes. Don't pay attention to style or anything else, just finish it. I find the thing which most often hinders composition is that nagging perfectionism inherent in all good composers. This is a way of giving that a break and simply letting your brain do its thing for a while, which ultimately will help you work under pressure by helping you learn to turn the filter off now and again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: